Healthiest clumping cat litter?

Tag7re

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m trying to get a healthier cat litter and want to move away from clay. I know non-clumping are the best but my cat has a history of blockages and I’m really not comfortable not being able to use the clumps (or lack of) to monitor his pees.

I have Oko cat clumping wood pellets in there now but it is much dustier than I was expecting and my cat does have asthma. Does anyone have any recommendations for “healthy” aka least bad cat litters? I’ve seen grass seed litter mentioned here as a good option. I’m not sure if any of the brands have oat grass but my cat is highly allergic to it.

Any help is welcome!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend grass seed litters, either SmartCat or Petco’s SoPhresh. I think they all use sorghum, but I’d ask the manufacturer to be sure before exposing your cat to it. They may not tell you what they use but they would tell you they don’t use oats, I’d hope...
Anyway grass seed It’s the least dusty litter I’ve tried (and I think I’ve tried all natural kinds, my girl is also asthmatic), clumps very well, but it’s lightweight so it tracks significantly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tag7re

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recommend grass seed litters, either SmartCat or Petco’s SoPhresh. I think they all use sorghum, but I’d ask the manufacturer to be sure before exposing your cat to it. They may not tell you what they use but they would tell you they don’t use oats, I’d hope...
Anyway grass seed It’s the least dusty litter I’ve tried (and I think I’ve tried all natural kinds, my girl is also asthmatic), clumps very well, but it’s lightweight so it tracks significantly.
I don’t think my cat was tested for sorghum as they tested for our local environmental allergens. I will call the companies and ask about the grass species used, hopefully they will be able to provide an answer!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think my cat was tested for sorghum as they tested for our local environmental allergens. I will call the companies and ask about the grass species used, hopefully they will be able to provide an answer!
I think someone once told me that seeds won't necessary cause any allergic reaction but don't quote me on that.. If I were you, I'd introduce any new natural litter very carefully.

The other litter I tried and I consider low dust is Garfield, it's a combination of corn and tapioca. It clumps very, very, very well. But I'm not convinced that either corn or tapioca are good choices for litter (I've used corn litter before asthma diagnosis and I'm wondering if that was something that triggered my girl..), plus it got pretty expensive since it's heavy. But when it comes to dust, it's on my shortlist.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will call the companies and ask about the grass species used, hopefully they will be able to provide an answer!
I asked some producers about the ingredients in the litter and I was so surprised that some refused (proprietary blah blah blah). I found it shocking.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delilah hated the pellets. Right now we're trying Worlds Best which is corn based. Tracking is our biggest problem and it really isn't tracking. Just don't get the lavender one.

Tag7re

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think someone once told me that seeds won't necessary cause any allergic reaction but don't quote me on that.. If I were you, I'd introduce any new natural litter very carefully.

The other litter I tried and I consider low dust is Garfield, it's a combination of corn and tapioca. It clumps very, very, very well. But I'm not convinced that either corn or tapioca are good choices for litter (I've used corn litter before asthma diagnosis and I'm wondering if that was something that triggered my girl..), plus it got pretty expensive since it's heavy. But when it comes to dust, it's on my shortlist.
All of the companies said sorghum, I contacted the 4 I found in the US. How would you recommend introducing it carefully? My cat isnt picky so I usually just swap his litter without issue when we get a new kind.

Tag7re

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Delilah hated the pellets. Right now we're trying Worlds Best which is corn based. Tracking is our biggest problem and it really isn't tracking. Just don't get the lavender one.
I will look into that! My cat had Yesterdays News pellets post op and was not a fan (except when it came to eating the pellets!)

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of the companies said sorghum, I contacted the 4 I found in the US. How would you recommend introducing it carefully? My cat isnt picky so I usually just swap his litter without issue when we get a new kind.
I mean since your kitty is allergic to other kind of grass and wasn’t tested for sorghum, I think I’d either mix it gradually with their current litter, or maybe keep a small amount somewhere in your place but away from their reach just to see if they have any reaction being around it?

good luck and let us know how it goes

Tag7re

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I mean since your kitty is allergic to other kind of grass and wasn’t tested for sorghum, I think I’d either mix it gradually with their current litter, or maybe keep a small amount somewhere in your place but away from their reach just to see if they have any reaction being around it?

That is a good idea, thank you so much!

Kingcocoa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm using Sustainably Yours Cat litter (or Garfield I think they're same thing just whatever has better price)
It's corn and cassava litter.
So far was best clumping for me only downside is insane price.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm using Sustainably Yours Cat litter (or Garfield I think they're same thing just whatever has better price)
I agree, the clumping is great! I used to mix it (Garfield one) with SoPhresh grass seed litter (it clumps a bit worse than SmartCat) and that was a very good combination.

Tag7re

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Well I really like the performance of the litter, but my cat keeps eating it so I think I need to keep looking. Was really hoping this would be the one!

Tag7re

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree, the clumping is great! I used to mix it (Garfield one) with SoPhresh grass seed litter (it clumps a bit worse than SmartCat) and that was a very good combination.
I will try this one next! Hopefully my kitty wont be compelled to eat it