Health Issues

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just want to catch up and let you know what has been happening.

My husband, Paul, noticed a small bump on his scalp near the forehead. Thought it was a cyst; then he noticed a second one. He was due for a dermatologist check, so we made an appointment. Dermatologist took a biopsy, called us, and it turned out it is much more than a cyst. A skin cancer - very rare - called Merkel Cell Carcinoma. He scared us half to death with the description (this man does not have a very good bedside manner). It is rare, it can spread anywhere. He did get us to see a very knowledgeable surgical oncologist. their office made an appointment immediately. To make a long story a bit shorter, they sent him for an MRI, CT scan and he had surgery this past Wednesday, June 21. The doctor, after looking at the scans, said it had not spread to any vital organs. Right now Paul's had is wrapped up. Surgery took 2 1/2 hrs. The took skin from the leg and grafted onto the scalp where they removed the tumors. The day after surgery his bandages started bleeding more than they should. Called the dr's office at 1:30 in the morning, they paged him and he called us back immediately and told us to come into the office at 5 am. Turned out something had just opened up (possibly from a cough or sneeze). He put more stitches in that spot, re- bandaged the wound and we went back home. Seeing the dr every few days and a home care nurse comes in every day to change the bandages. After this heals he will go thru a course of radiation to make sure everything is ok. This whole thing came as a complete shock. When you Google Merkel Cell it really scares you - too much knowledge sometimes is dangerous. I did find a wonderful Merkel support group where I have been in contact people who have gone thru this and are now doing well. Their words of advice and encouragement really helped a lot. We love the dr; he is so dedicated and so knowledgeable; feel good to be in his hands. Anyway, we see the dr again tomorrow, and then Thursday to check where they took the skin from his leg for the graft. In between we have the nurse coming in; don't know when they'll start radiation, but probably in a few weeks. This has been quite a nightmare, but we're working thru it. June is not a good month for us;; 3 years ago I had my colon cancer surgery in June, last year I had my open heart surgery in June, and now it is Paul's turn in June. Next June we are going to sleep thru the whole month. Anyway, just wanted to fill you in on what's happening. Will keep you posted and keep us in our thoughts and prayers.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
OMGoodness.... all I can say is (((HGUS))) and best wishes sent your way...

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Going through serious illness with someone you love is both frightening and exhausting. My thoughts are with you. You and Paul have everyone on The CatSite in your corner and cheering for you. Hang tough. There are only six more days in this dreadful month.