Health Concerns For A Cat I Adopted

Californiacatboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted my cat george from some people a couple months ago. He is a little over a year old. He is fixed but they never got him his shots. I've taken him to the vet twice since adopting him because when I got him he had yellow eye discharge and they prescribed teramycin which has helped to get rid of the eye discharge. He still sneezes I hear him sneezing up to 4 or 5 times a day. I got him his shots and the vet said he thinks he has feline herpes.
I got him a lysine supplement from chewy.com and the vet gave him a dewormer.
The sneezing is concerning me. Should I take him back to the vet for oral antibiotics? He is a very cuddly and loving cat so I'm very attached to him already and want to everything I can to maximize his lifespan.
He also has this mark on his nose and below his mouth the other day I don't know if it's just a scratch or what.
Do you think feline herpes is the cause of his eye discharge and sneezing?

Attachments

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be any number of things. Allergies, a cold, eye infection? So hard to tell. I would check with my vet if i was unsure, hopefully they can tell you for sure. I have had cats will all of the above issues, and truly its hard sometimes to tell which it is if its a mild case.

Best of luck to him, let us know how it goes.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes it does sound like FVH to me. All the sneezing foster kittens I have are immediately given oral antibiotics and the sneezing and eye issues clear up within two weeks or so. I definitely think you should talk to your vet about oral antibiotics. Continue with the l-lysine supplements.

ineedhelpnow

I love FURBABIES!
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted my cat george from some people a couple months ago. He is a little over a year old. He is fixed but they never got him his shots. I've taken him to the vet twice since adopting him because when I got him he had yellow eye discharge and they prescribed teramycin which has helped to get rid of the eye discharge. He still sneezes I hear him sneezing up to 4 or 5 times a day. I got him his shots and the vet said he thinks he has feline herpes.
I got him a lysine supplement from chewy.com and the vet gave him a dewormer.
The sneezing is concerning me. Should I take him back to the vet for oral antibiotics? He is a very cuddly and loving cat so I'm very attached to him already and want to everything I can to maximize his lifespan.
He also has this mark on his nose and below his mouth the other day I don't know if it's just a scratch or what.
Do you think feline herpes is the cause of his eye discharge and sneezing?
It could be a sinus infection, which is likely bacterial, or it could be viral in which antibiotics won't do anything, could be a lot of things. I'd get a vets opinion for course of action, since I can't examine him. And get him vaccinated, it's essential for any issues that may arise in the future. George is a very cute cat.

Good luck,

Dan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Californiacatboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies, I called my vet and said I wanted to try oral antibiotics for him. Hes been on them for over a week now and the sneezing has already gone away, very happy that he looks so much healthier now.