Health advice for a cat who might have been without food and water for multiple days

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So one of my cats Kumi has escaped outside due to a broken mosquito net on early Friday (around maybe 1-2 am) and has been missing for around 68-70 hours before he came home. We know he wasn't near because we searched our own garden and our neighbours garden. He came back physically unharmed but really really tired (he was so tired that I had to carry him up the stairs because he only went up 2 steps before he sit down and looked at me) and he was moving really slowly (like not as if hes injured just like exhausted). He ate a little wet food (around half a plate) when he came home yesterday night and since then hes been drinking water but he isn't eating.

He only eat a little lactose free sour cream since yesterday night (we know that it's not the best option but we thought it beats just water and maybe licking a little would bring back his appetite). But no dice. I tried wet cat food that he likes, chicken breast, even a little bit of ham but he doesn't eat anything.

I honestly think that he just got really really tired bc the poor baby has been probably awake and alert for around 3 days and most likely without food and water and under stress (either someone accidentally locked him in their garage or he got chased by a dog and had to hide + or some other scenario). And I think that even if it was raining and he had acess to the outside (was not locked away) stressed cats don't really ate or drink so it's just best to assume that he has not been doing that.

So I have been guessing that once his body gets caught up on rest his big appetite will return too.

He doesn't have a fever (yet), he is purring gently if I start petting him, he doesn't seem to have any outside injuries and also isn't complaining about anything. He just sleeps in different positions and places upstairs. He slept the entire day. And he does drink water, did so multiple times.

But he is not bathing himself yet at all, not eating anything solid yet despite me trying muliple types of food, and also he haven't urinated yet. No bowel movement at all.

So I'm a little worried about these things. I'm hoping that it's just because his body is concentrating on sleeping for now. My mother says that he should urinate by tomorrow otherwise his kidneys will shut down (if we assume that he did not urinate for at least 2-3 days minimum).

We will obviously take him to the vet if he doesn't improve a little tomorrow but we are to put it mildly poor as **** right now due to a family emergency and we would like to avoid a vet visit if he is able to recover by himself.

This never happened before and I just don't know what to look out for and when to get worried. This is his pic from a couple hours ago (the spot on the bed near him are from old spilled nail polish not from him):

Attachments

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
What foods have you tried? Even baby food would help. Anything with moisture. Have you tried. fancy feast canned or weruva?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What foods have you tried? Even baby food would help. Anything with moisture. Have you tried. fancy feast canned or weruva?
Different wet foods we have a lot of cat food but no baby food. I don't live in America so we have different brands here. I gave him stuff that's liquid enough in a syringe but that amount is nothing for a 6 kg cat. He drank some water and now he started licking some wet cat food and I was relieved for a sec but our motion detecting lamp outside came on and he just stopped. He wants to go outside despite only being able to slowly come down the stairs as if I would let him in this condition. He probably has to use a litterbox by now. I'm hoping hes not bullheaded enough to keep holding it in. It's 4:36 am where I live so even though I want to monitor him I need to go to sleep.

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: He used the litterbox this morning and eaten a tiny bit of wet food. Now I'm just trying to think of what he likes best and hoping that I can entice him with it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is promising. I really think he was injured and is slowly recovering. Sick cats will often leave and hide too. no matter what, something is wrong and he needs rest, water, and food. It does sound like he was severely dehydrated and that means his body would use the water he drinks and no urination would occur for a time. He may have gotten into a fight with a bigger cat and got beaten. DO NOT let him outside. It may be time fro him to be an inside cat. There are too many dangers out there. He won't like it, but will adjust. Get some lickable treats, such as Delectable Lickables, if your stores have them. I often use them for ill/injured animals. As long as he is eating, drinking, and using the litter box he should get slowly better. All the luck, keep us informed!

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update 2: He is more alert and seems to be in visibly higher spirits but he's still slow and not energetic (understandably) he used the litterbox 2 times today once in the morning and then around 17:00. He is thankfully eating again simply just very small portions compared to his usual appetite. He is also still pretty silent compared to his usual very vocal communication. He will most likely improve in the next 1-2 days.

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is promising. I really think he was injured and is slowly recovering. Sick cats will often leave and hide too. no matter what, something is wrong and he needs rest, water, and food. It does sound like he was severely dehydrated and that means his body would use the water he drinks and no urination would occur for a time. He may have gotten into a fight with a bigger cat and got beaten. DO NOT let him outside. It may be time fro him to be an inside cat. There are too many dangers out there. He won't like it, but will adjust. Get some lickable treats, such as Delectable Lickables, if your stores have them. I often use them for ill/injured animals. As long as he is eating, drinking, and using the litter box he should get slowly better. All the luck, keep us informed!
So Kumi is a neutered 5 year old male cat. We neutered him when he was small but he still spays inside regularly. Since I haven't asked yet do you have any experience with remedies against spaying inside? Does stuff like Feliway actually work?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Search Results for Query: spraying
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory - TheCatSite
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping - TheCatSite
jackson galaxy cat spraying indoors - Google Search

I wanted to give you some resources regarding spraying which may help. The last one will take you to a number of videos and information from Jackson Galaxy.

I rescued my cat Graycie after she was locked in a storage cabinet in some local apartments. She was not my cat previously and I was asked to get her off the street before someone made another attempt to get rid of her. She was there for 5 days and recovered with no problem, although I did take her to the vet for a checkup. A good friend's pet cat who is indoor/outdoor was trapped in a construction site for 9 days and was not in great shape at the end, but survived and is fine now. It seems as if your cat is recovering, but if this does not continue to be a continual improvement, I would go to the vet.

Cats don't necessarily think that lightning can strike twice, so I agree with working on keeping him inside, or in other ways changing his lifestyle to the use of a catio (if you property allows it) or possibly supervised time outside on a lead and harness.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE UPDATE! Sounds like he is improving!
When we moved my neutered male started spraying all over too. This went on for a year. When he finally accepted the move he stopped. You have to find out what is bothering your boy, maybe a stray cat coming around? You can get calming treats online, they help too. The places he consistently went to, i got some clear plastic carpet protector with the little nubs on the back, cut it and laid it there. He wouldn't walk on it. You could try strips of double sided tape too, they hate that.

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update 3: He is acting super affectionately. (he headbuts me so hard sometimes that I fear for the safety of my nose). His usual appetite have not returned yet (he used to eat like at least 2 different foods at once now he eats like half of one or maybe one). But I reasoned with myself that it's simply bc he's not running around that much. His litterbox usage is fine so I'm nit seeing any problems. He still eats and no matter were I touch or press theres no sign of discomfort at all.

He is actually a very territorial cat. He may tolerate my 2 girls, but even then. There has been a stray tomcat around here lately I think that's what's been bothering him. Also my neigbours boy bc even after knowing him for like 3 years now, he's still not a fan. I went to sleep and thought that it was Kumi sleeping next to me (no dice he was sleeping on the laundry basket) and who was actually sleeping in my bed was my neighbours cat. So obviously my boy would not be a fan of this situation. Problem is my old neighbour died and it's just her sons now. And I think this kitty is missing affection. So It's like, I want to let him in but Kumi is always like "how about you go home intruder ?“ so I think that's why hes spaying inside. Because of the other boys essentially. He can see that other stray tomcat from the window bc that boy is in our garden a lot.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with what you are saying. There are two other cats who are in his territory, as he sees it, and that is an excellent reason for spraying in his mind.