headbutting problems

mschilders

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I am petting my cat Charley, I will have both honds involved and she will start headbutting my arm as if I am doing something wrong. It is constant and then she bites, but not hard. What on earth is going on? (Prior to Charley, I didn't like cats, was singularly a dog person, sorry)

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you lean in, you might find she head butts your chin or face. This is, as noted, a good thing. [emoji]9786[/emoji]️ The "bites" are love bites. [emoji]9786[/emoji]️[emoji]128077[/emoji]

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also try presenting her with a closed fist.  Most cats will head butt a close fist.  It is a truly a sign of affection.  Some cats will do it over and over again.  They just want to be pet or loved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschilders

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awesome! Like I said, before Charley, with the exception of my parents' cat when I was a teenager (who Charley is the spitting image of but acts nothing like) I have never really wanted much to do with cats. Always thought they were cute, etc. But preferred if they belonged to someone else. Oh!, and does anyone know what is up with her wanting to play fetch with a ball of tape at. 4 am?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Awesome! Like I said, before Charley, with the exception of my parents' cat when I was a teenager (who Charley is the spitting image of but acts nothing like) I have never really wanted much to do with cats. Always thought they were cute, etc. But preferred if they belonged to someone else. Oh!, and does anyone know what is up with her wanting to play fetch with a ball of tape at. 4 am?
Hehe, the fetch at 4 am is the reminder of why you always liked cats but preferred they belonged to someone else. 
    Cats are natural night hunters, their vision works best in dim light and they are often most active at dusk and dawn which is when they would be out catching their food if left to their natural instincts.  Charley wants you to join in with her hunting, and is presenting you with the prize when she catches it.  

It sometimes helps to play hard and offer a little snack fairly late in the evening to try and delay when your cat wants to get up in the morning, then try to ignore her play advances for a short time so you can slowly work her back to a later start to the day.  That is unless you like to get up at 4 am. 
    I used to play with Mouse from my bed, throwing endless supplies of toy mice for him to 'fetch' without me needing to get up should he fail to bring one back - then expect me to throw something for him to chase again.  

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blighty sometimes headbutt my feet.
It's not good enough. I want face butts and whisky doesn't at all. Mind you he did blink at me this evening.

southbound

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a good thing. My Casey always heads butts me. My little Tabitha used to hide and run up behind me and bite my calves and run off.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear you.
Blighty sometimes headbutt my feet.
It's not good enough. I want face butts and whisky doesn't at all. Mind you he did blink at me this evening.
Robin doesn't either, though he does the "I own you" cheek rub thing. Headbutts are really great to get. My family rescued a cat decades ago that headbutted til your teeth and jaw hurt. [emoji]128518[/emoji]

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't even do the te name="misterwhiskers" url="/t/303485/headbutting-problems#post_3808690"]I hear you.
Robin doesn't either, though he does the "I own you" cheek rub thing. Headbutts are really great to get. My family rescued a cat decades ago that headbutted tiloved teeth and jaw hurt. [emoji]128518[/emoji][/quote]

They don't even do the face rub :'(
I'm very neglected. They're not affectionate cats. I'm used to lap cats. All my cats over the last 20 years were lap cats and slept under the covers with me in bed. What's wrong with these two spoiled kitties. An abandoned siamese and a black and white street cat. They love each other very much just as if they were litter mates.