Head Wounds

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that Ollie one of our 5 month old kittens is being hit in the head quite often by Milo our biggest cat who is only 10 months old. One of them hissed and Milo kept whacking him in the head and now Ollie has scabs on his head which I presume are wounds healing? I notice one such wound a while ago but thought nothing of it as it matted fur/a small lumpy area. Then the other day Milo attacked him quite a lot and these additional scabs appeared on the top of his head so I'm assuming its related.

Milo hasn't attacked the other two kittens. I assume that it's because Ollie is challenging Milo's dominance and has annoyed him but is this harmless (the wounds on the head) or do I need to get a vet involved? Milo accidentally caught me once and I was cut by a single sharp claw sticking out of his paw so I'm assuming its the same used in kitten play/fight and it's not too serious but I don't want Ollie being injured or this escalating. The standard Felliway Friends is throughout the house and both are neutered. They still eat together but do sleep defensively and sweep their tails so there's a little tension. I thought neutering Ollie would calm him down but now he's the one getting attacked.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I personally think that you're probably right, that it is wounds from a claw while getting smacked. Those can get infected and if you see increased redness, swelling get Ollie into the vet immediately.

Can you separate them? Can you use cat music for Milo such as MusicForCats . com? Also clip his claws and maybe consider claw caps until things become a bit more calm.

Hang in there!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They do probably need to be separated, particularly when you are not around to intervene. And, you need to think about a discipline plan to instill to help Milo learn this behavior is not acceptable. See if there is anything in any of these TCS articles that might help explain the cause of the attacks.

Why Do Cats Attack?
https://thecatsite.com/ams/why-do-cats-the-ultimate-guide-to-feline-behavior.33924/
Re-directed Aggression In Cats

The other thing I am curious about is the fact that you mention one specific claw that is longer than the others - have you - or your vet - taken a good look at this paw with the one long claw? Is it an extra one, perhaps?

Lastly, the other thing that comes to mind is the fact that Milo is only taking out his aggression on Ollie - could Ollie be sick? Some cats react to another one that is sick.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I personally think that you're probably right, that it is wounds from a claw while getting smacked. Those can get infected and if you see increased redness, swelling get Ollie into the vet immediately.

Can you separate them? Can you use cat music for Milo such as MusicForCats . com? Also clip his claws and maybe consider claw caps until things become a bit more calm.

Hang in there!
Thanks. The problem is that on the head I can barely expose the wounds but they can be felt and are quite swollen. I tried to push open one of the areas as the fur is matted/pushed out around and he got upset and his claws out so evidently painful.

It's not the clearest photo but this is the oldest crusted over wound.

Milo is normally very calm but recently his authority is being challenged by the young kittens.

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They do probably need to be separated, particularly when you are not around to intervene. And, you need to think about a discipline plan to instill to help Milo learn this behavior is not acceptable. See if there is anything in any of these TCS articles that might help explain the cause of the attacks.

Why Do Cats Attack?
https://thecatsite.com/ams/why-do-cats-the-ultimate-guide-to-feline-behavior.33924/
Re-directed Aggression In Cats

The other thing I am curious about is the fact that you mention one specific claw that is longer than the others - have you - or your vet - taken a good look at this paw with the one long claw? Is it an extra one, perhaps?

Lastly, the other thing that comes to mind is the fact that Milo is only taking out his aggression on Ollie - could Ollie be sick? Some cats react to another one that is sick.
Thanks I've just read the article you linked. It's kind of territorial/dominance and maybe redirected aggression or Ollie is wounded/ill and then a further victim. I think given the way the main wound has crusted over, is swollen and when trying to expose it Ollie started to use his claws and ran off then it must be painful.

The way Milo hits and I got caught once was a single very sharp penetration akin to a needle. I assumed it was because he was play fighting and cats use this to "tag" or warn their fellow feline playmates hence a barely exposed single point. Or is that not normal?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since the wounds or at least one is painful it is quite likely that he has the beginnings of an infection. Take him to the vet and get the antibiotics NOW before the infection gets a firm grip on him. Ask the vet to show you how to clean the wounds since this will probably happen again.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet visit and antibiotics are really necessary. The skin on cats heals very quickly, and when it does, it can seal in an infection, which then grows into an abscess. You mentioned that one place is already swollen. Do get your cat in soon.

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since the wounds or at least one is painful it is quite likely that he has the beginnings of an infection. Take him to the vet and get the antibiotics NOW before the infection gets a firm grip on him. Ask the vet to show you how to clean the wounds since this will probably happen again.
Thanks KFlowers he's booked in tonight after work.

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So it's not as bad as abscesses but could have developed into them or it could be (unlikely) ringworm. I now have some antiseptic reddish liquid to paint the areas from puncture wounds. The vet is covering himself with the treatment doubling up for ring worm but is almost certain its been caused by fighting.