Head Tremors Potential Seizure In Older Cat

Mlee323

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! First time post here :)

I have an 18 YO cat named kitty who has had small head shakes (almost where it looks like something shocked her) for the last 5 years and the frequency has increased a bit but she still actually the same. It went from once every few hours to every 10-15 minutes. Her vet is aware but says she is super healthy for an older cat, bloodwork done 4 months ago is pretty “impeccable!” Nothing has changed in her appetite or litter box use or personality.

About a week ago, she had a longer head shake (video here: ) that I was able to capture and asked the ER vet if I should come in and they said yes. After waiting for about 2 hours there, the prolonged shake didn’t happen again and the ER vet said to see her regular doc and get tested again. Her regular vet said it looked like a focal seizure but the only way to really find the source is to put kitty through neurological and extensive testing and maybe put her on seizure meds or CBD oil to see IF it helps.

So I guess my polling is: kitty seems normal in her day to day life, I’ve been watching her like a helicopter mom and nothing drastic has changed except these shakes are more intense and more frequent. It seems like they happen when she’s more relaxed or purring and then when she finally falls asleep - they don’t happen. Do I put her older body through this which could stress her out? Do I put her on meds that may be unnecessary? What do you all recommend? I just want her to be happy.

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s so tough when you are in the middle of the situation to make these calls. Does your vet feel like the meds would be successful or would it end up being trial and error?
As unhelpful as it is, you are probably the only one who truly knows if you're both prepared to go through testing new meds or if it’s time to let her rest.
Lots of :redheartpump:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! First time post here :)

I have an 18 YO cat named kitty who has had small head shakes (almost where it looks like something shocked her) for the last 5 years and the frequency has increased a bit but she still actually the same. It went from once every few hours to every 10-15 minutes. Her vet is aware but says she is super healthy for an older cat, bloodwork done 4 months ago is pretty “impeccable!” Nothing has changed in her appetite or litter box use or personality.

About a week ago, she had a longer head shake
(video here: ) that I was able to capture and asked the ER vet if I should come in and they said yes. After waiting for about 2 hours there, the prolonged shake didn’t happen again and the ER vet said to see her regular doc and get tested again. Her regular vet said it looked like a focal seizure but the only way to really find the source is to put kitty through neurological and extensive testing and maybe put her on seizure meds or CBD oil to see IF it helps.

So I guess my polling is: kitty seems normal in her day to day life, I’ve been watching her like a helicopter mom and nothing drastic has changed except these shakes are more intense and more frequent. It seems like they happen when she’s more relaxed or purring and then when she finally falls asleep - they don’t happen. Do I put her older body through this which could stress her out? Do I put her on meds that may be unnecessary? What do you all recommend? I just want her to be happy.
Hello, M Mlee323 ! Welcome to The Cat Site! :hugs:

I was wondering if your cat's vet did a thorough ear exam to rule out any problems with her ears or the inner ear, etc.?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be tremors related to age, just like in people. Although that is NOT common in cats! I take it she's not cold, though at that age she would enjoy a cat heat pad to rest on. They are awfully mild if they are seizures, and usually they are disoriented when they come out, she doesn't appear to be. I would rely on bloodwork and your vet's advise. At her age I wouldn't want her under a lot of stress. I have heard wonderful things about the CBD oil, it wouldn't hurt. I have a feeling that at her age, extensive testing won't reveal much, probably reveal what you already know, mild seizures. I would just make her as comfrotable as you can and just love her, that is all she wants!