Head shaking after receiving the Convenia Shot

sarah9739

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a four year old cat named Archie. He had a small chin acne infection that started about 4 weeks ago. I took him into the vet and the doctor said he needed antibiotics. She said there is a simple shot they could give him instead of us having to pill him. I of course said yes. After receiving the first shot of Convenia he was pretty lethargic and not quite himself. I proceeded to take him back in thinking this odd behavior was due to the infection itself and she gave him yet another shot of Convenia (this was after full two weeks from the first shot). He was acting even more different than before and I started to suspect the Convenia shot. I immediately looked online and saw these horror stories about this shot. I was frantic. He is starting to get back to his old self. Before he hardly came around except to eat and use his box. He is more active now (this is day 8 after the second shot). Throughout all of this he has always continued to eat, drink, and use his box normally. The only thing I notice now more than any other time is that he consistently shakes his head (like he has ear mites) but the vet looked at his ears twice and saw nothing. Has anyone else had this happen after this shot? I am wondering if this is a reaction he is having to it. I will NEVER give my cat this antibiotic ever again. Thanks in advance,

Sarah

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of people refuse to use Convenia.  The clinic I take mine too will only use it for certain types of infections when other antibiotics don't work.  People who take care of ferals often use it because of the difficulty in giving medication.  I am wondering if there was too much given?  Neurotoxicity can be an issue with a large dose.  We have a human doctor from Australia who posted to a thread about convenia, of course I can't find the thread now.  I remember he mentioned possible neuro side effects.  If your kitty recently received the second shot then that is probably what is causing this.  I know it's two weeks of effective dosing but it can actually stay in the system for up to two months.  Hopefully this will go away as the antibiotic works out of his system.

I found his post about Convenia http://www.thecatsite.com/t/244226/convenia-side-effects/90#post_4126249

Last edited: