He Stands Up To Pee

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So here's the story: we have two 8 year old, neutered, indoor only male cats. They have one large storage tub at the bottom of the stairs. It is scooped a minimum of twice / day. No issues using the box but - here is my problem

Occasionally Mr Poe will squat to pee, then rise to a standing position and pee right over the side of the tub.

Who has dealt with this overshoot issue and how did you resolve it? Now on to the lengthy report.

If he's standing the length of the box and shoots right over the short side of it (I once saw him do this) it squirts out onto the concrete floor. Stinks, but relatively easy to clean up.

If he's standing cross-wise and it goes over the long side (I once saw him do this) it hits the wall and runs down, pooling under the litter pan and that is a real nuisance to clean up.

Ordered an extra large hooded litter pan from Chewys. Specifically told them that because some reviews mentioned the plastic was flimsy / fragile I wanted it boxed and shipped by itself.

Guess what? Ordered Friday afternoon, came amazingly early on Saturday morning and - the warehouse has packed the two cases of fancy Feast inside the litter pan. Used lots of brown packing paper but - you are ahead of me here, right? - the litter pan is broken.

Called, they're shipping another pan, no charge. But it won't come until Monday, maybe Tuesday.

The pan's dimensions are smaller than the tub. I'm concerned that A) the boys won't like going into it and B) it will be a real nuisance to unclip the hood twice a day to scoop.

This morning I'm going to Lowes to look for a Really High-Sided storage tub.

Thank you for reading this rather long cri de coeur, and thank you for any suggestions. Sympathy also appreciated.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a stand up pee'r. So I made my own box, and it was perfect. Even hooded boxes are a pain because the pee can get trapped in the seams where the hood meets the box. It's just gross.
So I bought these.
www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sterilite-clearview-tote-with-latch-104-l-1426026p.html#srp

The dimensions allowed my cat to stand up and the pee would just run down into the litter.
I used a jig saw to make a small cut out so he could get in and out easier. But my boy would always turn around before going. He never just "stepped in and go", so his behind was always facing at least one of the high sides. I also made the cut out in center of the "long" side of the box, as this encouraged him to turn around no matter what. He was a big boy so he tended to aim "length wise", towards the corners. But even with the cut out, the box is plenty big (long) enough that if he aimed near the corners of the same side as the cut out, there were still several inches of high side, before the cut out started, it would still stay in the box and not go over the edge.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
As a temporary fix, you could get some large bed pads (chux, if you know what those are). Tape one to the wall and tuck one end under the litter box. That way the pee should be contained/absorbed and not pool under the box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am back from Lowes, with a 30 gallon Bella storage tub filling the passenger seat. Cheaper than the covered litter box still to arrive from Chewys. Sturdier too. Dimensions are good, a few inches taller. It has a lid but at this point we will see if the two agile, graceful boys can easily leap in / leap out. Stay tuned for future developments.

And thank you to Jem Jem and GoldyCat GoldyCat for taking the time to read and offer suggestions.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheaper than the covered litter box still to arrive from Chewys.
I never buy "litter boxes" anymore. Storage bins are way cheaper, and when they get too scratched up, where bacteria can fester in them, it doesn't make you cringe to have to get a replacement.
The "high sided" litter box that I would have had to have got for my boy, was 80$!:shocked:And that was the cheapest I could find.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, just minutes ago today - and it is Sunday - a smallish gray station wagon came up our driveway and delivered the replacement covered litter box from Chewys.

Jem Jem , it was on sale for $17 and change. No way would I pay $80 for something I wasn't sure the boys would use!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I just want to add the Milo the Millennium cat was a stand up guy who did exactly what your cat does. We had to go the route of the storage container and it did work.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Place a puppy pee pad on the ground where the pee usually ends up. Also DIY litterbox with storage bins that are deeper will help too.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have an elevator butt peeing cat too. I went through many litter boxes. Now it's just the large rubbermaid containers. I use this type BETTER LITTER BOX -- CATS ADORED

It works well 95% of the time. Yet once a month or so my guy will raise his butt and pee out the hole or near the hole. I place puppy pee pads on the floor in front of the box. I also keep a supply of wipes to clean the sides of the litter box daily.