Having Second Thoughts About Giving My Cats Revolution

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave my two cats Revolution spot treatment tonight. My reasons were that I bought some treatment earlier that needed to be used; my vet asked a question when I took my youngest cat, Felix, in last weekend, that sounded like she thought he might have flea dirt, but wasn't sure; and my mom said that she thought she was getting some bug bites, but didn't think they were fleas.

I'm now having second thoughts, and am feeling a little paranoid that I either put it on wrong (where the cats might be able to lick at it, or not close enough to the skin) or that the cats will have an allergic reaction. Is that a rational fear?

I should say that my parents did not think that we had a flea problem, and I was definitely unsure.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Revolution is one of the safer flea treatment options. I personally think it is better than treat if you think there might be a problem then to wait for it to become a major problem. I also have had cats with allergic reactions to flea treatments but the worst of it was a bald spot for a few weeks; don't stress it too much. If you haven't noticed a reaction within 24 hours, it's unlikely there will be one.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Revolution on my cat Milly during some of the late Spring/ summer months. The only thing I noticed (and doesn't even happen with every dosage given) is some lethargy for a few hours in the first half-day it was given.

Just make sure you use the formula for cats (and not the one for dogs).

Also, there is a difference between Revolution (has selamectin) and RevolutionPLUS (which has both selamectin and sarolaner), so just make sure you know which one you are using in order to watch out for any relevent side effects.

If you have worries or want more info, I'd contact your vet or one of your vet's techs for more information.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our vet is always talking about fleas and how easy it is for her, an indoor cat, to get them. So far he's never been able to comb a single flea or any flea dirt off of the cat. But he always suggests Revolution when it comes up. It seems to kinda be what they start with when talking.

In my life I've seen a few fleas, a bunch of fleas, a I'm rinsing my hair with Listerine number of fleas. I'm waiting to see a flea. I probably won't now because we have a dog and she's gets flea medcine because of being in/out.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
revolution is super easy to put on, the first time I put it on too low and my cat was able to reach it, but i managed to distract him with toys until it was dry enough, and then i used a brush to smooth the spot out. I’m now on my 4th application ever.

After his 2nd application, he stopped caring that he has a wet patch on his neck and now ignores it completely :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all for your replies. Thankfully, the cats are acting like their normal selves, and so I don't think the treatment harmed them :)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your mom may not be getting bit by fleas. It may be gnats, or as I call them "teeth with wings".
This is the time of year for them and they are small enough to get through a screen.