Having Kittens??? Please Help.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
awwwwwww they are ADORABLE!!!!! So precious!!!!! did you weigh them yet?? Might be too soon!!

Our kittens took 2 full days to put on weight and actually went DOWN In weight by 2 grams each, after 24 hours. We were really worried, but we have since read that this can be normal. Definitely keep a close eye on them - obviously you will do!!! But just don't worry as we realised they are getting colostrum from mama rather than milk to grow, so so long as they are suckling OK and moving around, and are warm and look healthy, they will grow ASAP when they are ready!! They are unbelievably cute!! COngratulations xxxx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jessica Meade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She did have them in my laundry room as you can tell i got the clean clothes out of laundry drawer and put towells and a few old things to try and make it comfy for her

Jessica Meade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
awwwwwww they are ADORABLE!!!!! So precious!!!!! did you weigh them yet?? Might be too soon!!

Our kittens took 2 full days to put on weight and actually went DOWN In weight by 2 grams each, after 24 hours. We were really worried, but we have since read that this can be normal. Definitely keep a close eye on them - obviously you will do!!! But just don't worry as we realised they are getting colostrum from mama rather than milk to grow, so so long as they are suckling OK and moving around, and are warm and look healthy, they will grow ASAP when they are ready!! They are unbelievably cute!! COngratulations xxxx
Yes they have all been eating and sleeping i have mostly left them alone... just fmnade sure momma has what she needs.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That looks like a wonderful nest for her to snuggle in!! She must feel really safe in there!

Our cat moved her babies after a few days. In 3 weeks she has moved them about 4 times.

Don't worry if she does!! We did!!! But Sarthur2 Sarthur2 told us not to and let mama put them in the new place.

LOL I tried to carry them back to the old nest and I'd no sooner put the first 2 back in the old nest and was walking back to get the last 2, and mama was carrying one of the first 2 back to the new nest looking pretty annoyed with me, haha, so I just put them in the new place (haha which was a SUPER full wardrobe, I don't even know how she got them in there, lol, she looked so dismayed when I took the clothes out!!)

So just let her do that, add a heating pad to the new places she picks, if she does pick a new place, if you need to as Mia always picked cold places for some reason. xx

Jessica Meade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I havent weighed them i was about to try a little bit ago buy my scale isnt working... i wanted to weigh as soon as she had them thought batteries were dead but still isnt working....
Told husband to pick one up on his way home around 6... hope thats ok

Jessica Meade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also have a kitten i am fostering about a week old or so.. as i was feeding him mom was going crazy thinking i had her kitten im guessing?? She just came and got my foster and took it to her nest??? Is this ok???

Jessica Meade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's licking it all over. This foster kitty has been with me almost 7 days we think it was just a day or 2 when found because still had cord.... im not sure foster will know how to eat from her...... aghhh what to do??

Jessica Meade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That looks like a wonderful nest for her to snuggle in!! She must feel really safe in there!

Our cat moved her babies after a few days. In 3 weeks she has moved them about 4 times.

Don't worry if she does!! We did!!! But Sarthur2 Sarthur2 told us not to and let mama put them in the new place.

LOL I tried to carry them back to the old nest and I'd no sooner put the first 2 back in the old nest and was walking back to get the last 2, and mama was carrying one of the first 2 back to the new nest looking pretty annoyed with me, haha, so I just put them in the new place (haha which was a SUPER full wardrobe, I don't even know how she got them in there, lol, she looked so dismayed when I took the clothes out!!)

So just let her do that, add a heating pad to the new places she picks, if she does pick a new place, if you need to as Mia always picked cold places for some reason. xx
Thanks so much! I posted about foster kitten below.... any advice on this?

Jessica Meade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While i was cleaning the foster kitten, new mom thought i had her baby im assuming for she hasnt left the nest but for this she just took foster kitty and put it in her nest???? Is this ok?? She is licking it all over. But foster isn't eating from her as she should be hungry. What do i do????

Last edited by a moderator:

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not one of the experts here so I am sure Sarthur2 Sarthur2 or someone else will chime in with advice, from what I've read from others' threads on here, as I spent AGES reading before we had kittens - ours were planned ... just a few months earlier than planned!!

I would say that so long as you're confident that the separate kitten has any infections, fleas, etc, and ditto the mama and other babies, so long as they are all OK, there is nothing more nourishing than mama's milk,

it's great for the kitten, not only to have the milk from mama (even if she isn't really the mama!) but the closeness and comfort of a mama kitten rather than you holding him or her, no matter how good a job you do of feeding it, nothing is as good as a cat giving it! So I'd say that's a GREAT thing so long as no infections can be spread, if the foster kitten is only a week old I'm sure it will remember how to suckle. Our smallest kitten we realised was suckling really weakly at first but now she is loving it and is the second biggest!! So I'd encourage it - once you get the go ahead from the experts here :-) xx

Jessica Meade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can tell the black bigger one is foster kitty...

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sorry that was supposed to read that so long as you're confident that NOBODY has any infections etc... sorry my bad...

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I mean if it starts to nurse that's actually great. You'll have to watch and make sure it doesn't bulldoze the new babies or cause them to miss out on nursing. But mama cats have been known to share litters with other mamas and even to adopt orphans so just monitor the situation and if mama starts to feed her then it's a lot of work off of your shoulders lol.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom should have enough milk for 4 kittens, if the orphan will begin nursing. It sounds like mama likes the orphan, which is good.

Put the orphan to a nipple to encourage nursing. If she won't nurse, take her out and feed her, then put her back with mom. She should figure it out eventually.

As was mentioned, just watch that the bigger kitten does not bully the smaller ones! :)