Having Kittens??? Please Help.

Jessica Meade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so i foster kittens and recently was given a pregnant cat to foster as this is my first time i usually just take kittens or puppys nurse them untill around 9 weeks but.... journey (what i have been calling cat) is very pregnant about 2 days ago she had some panting (no purring) but breathing hard thought she was going into labor but must have been pre labor. Since about 3pm today she has veen breathing very very heavy purring loudly and almost like shaking a few times.

She was laying on her back belly up i noticed she had some fleas that made me nervous for kittys so i got a small cotton ball and rubbed her belly with water and combed them out she didn't move let me get her "wet" as she hates she had a bath a shelter but i had no luck she hated it... help me please as the shelter is closed and all vets are also closed i can take her to emergency vet but os 350$ just to be seen:( any advice???

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
J Jessica Meade

It sounds like your cat is in hard labor. Has she been pushing yet?

How is your cat doing now?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jessica Meade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She seems to be ok still no kittens but i have just started to see a few contractions i believe. Belly getting tight she got up about right after i posted and ate some kitten food... but now she is back down breathing heavy again;( hopefully kittens will come soon i hate seeing her this way. I did get ahold of the vet because im a worry wort and they said was probably stage one as i wasnt seeing contractions this would have to be her 1st litter as she is young. Breaks my heart for her.

Jessica Meade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One other thing as i am just fostering her (and kittens soon hopefully) i have only had her about 2 weeeksshe is very loving and loves for me to pet her and love her. But she isnt her her little spot i made her to have the kittens instrad she is in my laundry room on some clothes could i try and move her? I dont want to stop the labor or make it any harder on her but the spot she is in isnt the ideal birthing spot???

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
J Jessica Meade

I would just leave her there if that's where she wants to be. A lot of cats have kittens in a place other than the nesting box. They can be moved later. She may also decide to move at some point anyway.

Rub her back or tummy if she will let you. It may comfort her.

It's hard to see cats in labor. :(

Keep us posted!

Jessica Meade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is hard to watch! I just want it to be over for her or for her to have the first one at least im not sure she knows whats going on.

And journey is so sweet i dont see how anyone could just leave her;( i have fostered several litters of kittens and puppies and of course cant keep them all.( I havent yet to keep a kitten did rescue a puppy after foster 3 years ago)The babys are always easy to find homes for its the older ones who they have trouble with so if she doesnt find a good owner i think ill get her fixed and keep her because she is just a doll.
I have been sitting right by her when i leave she meows a bit. Some have told me to watch from a distance so not sure of i should just leave her be??

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she wants you there with her...:redheartpump: Sending vibes for an uneventful labor and delivery & healthy mama and babies :vibes::vibes::vibes:

That's awesome that you are considering adopting Journey :catrub:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
J Jessica Meade

If she seems happier with you there then by all means stay with her. It's frightening for many cats to go through this process, and they feel calmer with their special person right with them.

I hope you keep her! It sounds like you two have already bonded.

I kept the pregnant stray that I took in over two years ago. :)

I hope things go well tonight.

Jessica Meade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks have been on the phone with vet again in panic mode she looks like she has a sack hanging out of her!!!! So inwas scared calling vet getting in car to take her bit vet says not to panic that the sack i see it the outer water bag? And i will not see kittens untill that bursts and i start seeing contractions??? Man this is scary...
I hope i didnt delay anything by moving her i was putting her in box to leave for vet untill vet advised to wait???? Oh my this is awful!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you send a picture? How long have you been seeing it hanging out of her?

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's completely normal to see weird things during birth. Don't move her and stay calm for her, she will let you know if something is truly wrong. Although it's scary and hard to watch she knows what she's doing by instinct and you don't have to worry so much.

Jessica Meade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's completely normal to see weird things during birth. Don't move her and stay calm for her, she will let you know if something is truly wrong. Although it's scary and hard to watch she knows what she's doing by instinct and you don't have to worry so much.
Thanks so much! That comment really helped! She has 2 littles so far;)

Jessica Meade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have 3 all are good one black one grey one grey orange all cute as can be nursing on momma. When will i know when ahe is finished?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
She will "settle" and lay with them when she is done. They can have them several hours apart. I had a mom that I thought was done and then 5 hours later she had another one though. Even if she is done now she will still feel lumpy as her uterus shrinks back to normal. Congrats! Post pictures when you can!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Daddy is prob creme as he carries red and dilute

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am coming on this late. Congratulations on your litter. It is a helpless feeling to just sit and do nothing while they are giving birth. My first delivery I was on the phone with my mentor for 3 hours! So good of you to consider adopting the new mother.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! Xxx hope all continues to go well xxx

Our cat had 5 kittens just under 3 weeks ago. Things I'd do differently are:

Stay with her the whole time keeping a close eye on things. We were very close but also giving her space. She looked done after no3 and laid and settled with those 3, then hardly had any contractions and another 2 came an hour or so later within a few minutes of each other. We had to rub both with a towel to try to revive them. One made it, the other sadly didn't. Could be many reasons for the one that didn't, we did jump in as soon as we noticed she had had another, it was just abrupt.

Don't assume she's done just if she looks settled. Keep a much closer eye on her after she settles. Our Mia looked as surprised as we were when 4 and 5 came.
Be ready to jump in and help with breaking the umbilical cords if mamma doesn't do it within say 20 mins. Our cat looked confused at it all still being attached and didn't eat much of any placenta. We left those for her in case she wanted them but removed after an hour or so for hygiene reasons.
Help guide kittens to nipples if mama is ok with it and they're not doing it. You could gently squeeze mamas nipples to see which ones give milk. We had 6/8 giving good milk. Hope this helps. Please post photos xxx