Having a problem, unsure of the cause

Ecknocke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
**Photo of cat attached, he has a bloody nose.

Hello -- my cat Jasper has had a crusty nose for awhile, dry and he was sneezing. A few days ago his nose area was blood red and raw, like he it had been clawed. The vet prescribed amoxi for the infection and pain meds and I'll be taking him back in a few days for a followup. Tonight, his nose looked a little better but I left him alone in the bedroom after I gave him his meds and I came back and his nose was red and freshly bloody again. I've included a picture because it's so strange and I'm not sure what to do or what it could be. Has anyone had this happen before? Was it an allergy? We moved into this house last April, it had evidently been quite a mess before a crew came in to renovate. But they skipped on somethings. I'm afraid there might be something in this house he's allergic to that I don't know.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ecknocke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He also dropped in weight in just 2 weeks. He went from 14.56 to 13.70.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ecknocke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, vet is aware of everything. Currently in an antibiotic and pain killer. My dog started sneezing fits last night. I'm wondering if there is something in my house they're all allergic too.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, is there anything new you’ve been using, any new chemical you bought? Are the neighbors doing something that comes through the window? Did you vacuum somewhere you haven’t in awhile? (Don’t know just trying to help).

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Can you ask the renovation crew if they did something?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While you search for possible causes, you need to find a way to keep Jasper from re-opening that wound. I suspect the newfound blood was from his scratching at it. It is highly likely that he caused the initial wound from scratching. Unfortunately, you probably need to consider an e-collar/cone to help allow that place to heal.

Once the bleeding is under control, you can also think about using chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, as well as containing anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on his nose with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. It is safe for Jasper to ingest should he do so.

Lucy&Petra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Search the home THOROUGHLY, all the corners and cracks - look everywhere. It's possible there is a toxin somewhere. This sounds like sniffing something toxic possibly.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Could your vet do a tox screen or is that too expensive? (I’m not trying to overly worry you here: just suggesting options). Seems like if it were that though it would have expressed itself sooner.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Check attics and basements for water damage, as well. Black mold can cause these things, and animals can be more sensitive to it than humans. Again, not wanting to frighten you, but with two animals affected, the chances of environmental issues grows.