Having A Kitty Conversation ...

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen a few threads recently about cat vocalizations and meowing at the humans. We have two very vocal cats in our house, and they meow for reasons both known and unknown.

But have you every had a conversation with a cat in which you knew exactly what they were saying? It sounds like the epitome of crazy cat lady, but bear with me...

Gohan was so upset when we brought Olive in and introduced them, and the chasing had lasted months. Every time he saw her, he chased. Guaranteed. We tried play, food, treats, and petting/attention and nothing was deterring it. In fact, he was so overstimulated/wound up that even lightly touching his head caused a chase.

Now, Gohan was always a talkative cat, mostly meowing loudly at walls and in fun echo-y rooms. And my BF, who raised him from a 5 week old feral kitten, could call his name and he would come right away almost every time.

One day he tried to call him and talk instead of the other distractions we would use. And I remember this so clearly: Olive was peeking around the kitchen island and Gohan was about to chase her from about 8 feet away. And BF called his name, and Gohan looked at him and chattered back (different from his normal meows). The angst he was feeling was almost palpable, and BF replied with phrases like "I know, you want to chase her, but she is here to stay". And it felt like Gohan was pouring out his soul, telling us how much he wanted to chase her, how much he wanted to listen to BF, and how tortuous this experience was for him. It almost made me cry. I wish I had a video of it or something.

And that was the first time Gohan did not chase Olive. It was kind of magical. I know I am probably projecting my own story into his head, but it really felt like in that one instant, I knew exactly what a cat was saying to me. Anyone else have this type of epiphany?

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've seen a few threads recently about cat vocalizations and meowing at the humans. We have two very vocal cats in our house, and they meow for reasons both known and unknown.

But have you every had a conversation with a cat in which you knew exactly what they were saying? It sounds like the epitome of crazy cat lady, but bear with me...

Gohan was so upset when we brought Olive in and introduced them, and the chasing had lasted months. Every time he saw her, he chased. Guaranteed. We tried play, food, treats, and petting/attention and nothing was deterring it. In fact, he was so overstimulated/wound up that even lightly touching his head caused a chase.

Now, Gohan was always a talkative cat, mostly meowing loudly at walls and in fun echo-y rooms. And my BF, who raised him from a 5 week old feral kitten, could call his name and he would come right away almost every time.

One day he tried to call him and talk instead of the other distractions we would use. And I remember this so clearly: Olive was peeking around the kitchen island and Gohan was about to chase her from about 8 feet away. And BF called his name, and Gohan looked at him and chattered back (different from his normal meows). The angst he was feeling was almost palpable, and BF replied with phrases like "I know, you want to chase her, but she is here to stay". And it felt like Gohan was pouring out his soul, telling us how much he wanted to chase her, how much he wanted to listen to BF, and how tortuous this experience was for him. It almost made me cry. I wish I had a video of it or something.

And that was the first time Gohan did not chase Olive. It was kind of magical. I know I am probably projecting my own story into his head, but it really felt like in that one instant, I knew exactly what a cat was saying to me. Anyone else have this type of epiphany?

Oh yes I've noticed quite a few times that I pick up on my cats tone of voice like I would if I was talking to a human. Like with someone I know really well I can tell if they're upset even if they are trying to hide it. Their voice just has a different quality to it. It's exactly the same with my cat. It almost feels like having an extra sense sometimes. It's very cool.

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, yes. But it's kinda easy in my case, since Marx only meows when he wants to be cuddled. He walks up to me, meows heartbreakingly like he has never know any kind of affection, then I put him in my lap and he purrs like a machine. If he didn't do that meow and I try putting him in my lap, he jumps right out of it.

The only other sound he makes is something that sounds like a noise a pigeon would make and he only does that when in hunting mode.

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Shadow never really vocalized much. Shes getting better about telling me what she wants though.

We have some interesting conversations now.

I just had to tell her a few days ago, when she was standing by the back door, that she couldn't go outside because it was raining buckets.
She insisted on going outside, so I told her "Ok, fine but you aren't going to want to be out there". I opened the door and let her poke her head out. The first raindrop caused her to turn right around and come back inside.We did this three times, and I told her "See, you didn't want to be out in that rain did you?" She just gave me a short squeak and turned her head away. lol