Have you used any of these litters?

gray kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was in the store today trying to pick out a cat litter. I've used crystals for a long time but am wondering if something else might work better. I don't like regular clumping litter, its stinks up really fast compared to the crystals. But I'm wondering if any of the following litters are really as special as their advertising claims. Any input on well these litter do or don't work (when compared with regular clay clumping litter and/or crystal litter) would be greatly appreciated.

1. Tidy cats premium scoop for multiple cats, "anti-microbial action helps inhibit growth of bacterial odors on litter."

2. Arm & Hammer essentials, contains "natural and biodegradable corn fibers."

3. Arm & Hammer double duty clumping litter, this is supposedly better than other cat litters because it does "double duty by eliminating BOTH feces oder and urine odor." (instead of just urine odor).

I was also wondering if adding those smaller boxes of arm and hammer cat litter deodorizer to the litter in your litter box really makes any difference?

Thanks.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) Yes, it was ok but not amazing. I had to stop using it due to all the additives and dust bothering one of my cats. Would work for one to three cats. I didn't notice a difference between that variety and the other multicat tidy cat brands other than price/sales.

3) I've used Arm and Hammer litter a few times, not bad. It works but I can't remember how well odor control was.

Don't bother with the deodorizer, it's baking soda and a bit of perfumes. I don't think perfumes are good for cats to be breathing and some don't like them. If you want to use baking soda, go over to the baking or cleaning aisles and buy a cheap box of baking soda.

I use chicken feed crumbles myself.
But if I was using a boxed cat litter off the shelf I would stick with the corn or wheat ones - due to them being safer. Though most people will tell you world's best is one of the better ones for odor and clumping among the corn litters.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I used the Tidy Cats for quite a while. I think they may have changed their formula because the odor control is not as good as it used to be. I switched to Special Kitty clumping litter (Walmart brand) and have been very happy with that. Very little dust and good odor control.

I also tried Arm & Hammer Essentials but have no idea how well it works. None of my cats will touch it.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
good to know about Special Kitty - i've been using Arm & Hammer because it seems Scoop Away has changed their formula & it just doesn't work as well as it used to. i prefer an unscented one because i usually add the cat attract attractant to the box & don't want that scent overpowered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gray kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I use chicken feed crumbles myself.
Isn't that a food? Doesn't it get moldy or something after getting wet?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gray kitty

Isn't that a food? Doesn't it get moldy or something after getting wet?
For chickens, yes. And no, it's never molded. If I closed it up wet in a bag and left it a couple weeks it might, but maybe not if wet with urine.

There's several people on here that used chicken feed crumbles. You can usually get 40-50lbs for around $8-10, plus the crumbles are much lighter than clay is so you get far more for the same weight. Odor control is average - you must scoop daily, dustiness depends on brand, and there is a corn/grain smell to it.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

good to know about Special Kitty - i've been using Arm & Hammer because it seems Scoop Away has changed their formula & it just doesn't work as well as it used to. i prefer an unscented one because i usually add the cat attract attractant to the box & don't want that scent overpowered.
I use the kind in the green box. It says "fresh scent" on it, but I've never noticed any perfume. The brown box/bag has a citrus scent to it I think.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I use the kind in the green box. It says "fresh scent" on it, but I've never noticed any perfume. The brown box/bag has a citrus scent to it I think.
I can't notice any scent from the green box litter, either. The brown box has crystals in it and has a very fine texture. I don't like it. The orange box is the citrus scented one; that's the one I use. Its texture is the same as the green box.

I've used Arm & Hammer and Tidy Cats before. The A&H had too strong of a scent, even the "unscented" kind. And the Tidy Cats didn't clump very well, no matter which kind I used. I've never tried A&H Essentials. I also don't like the A&H deodorizer.