Have you read this book? What is its name?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is totally driving me crazy. A year or two ago I read a REALLY good book. I would put it in the suspense/psychological thriller genre, I guess. It was about a girl who was rescued from a pit in which she and several friends were being held - perhaps over school holidays? Or at an abandoned school? They were early twenties or late teens. Can't remember details, but it's all from her point of view after she was rescued, and there's a HUGE twist at the end. Anyway, has anyone read it? I'd like to read it again or maybe buy it, and I just can't remember the name!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by batgirl2good

No, but you have me intrigued! I hope someone answers soon!
I purposely didn't go into what happened in the ending because I really recommend it (whatever it's name, LOL) and didn't want to give it away.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ooo, i hope someone answers - it sounds good.

almost as good as lovely bones. . .which i will never read again....but it's good.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have spent many hours googling, searching the library, and nothing! Aargh. Maybe it was a short story...

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you remember the author's name or last name?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

Do you remember the author's name or last name?
No, unfortunately I'm beginning to wonder if it exists. I read it around the same time I was reading The Secret History by Donna Tartt and Red Leaves by Paulina Simons. That's all I remember...

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I FOUND IT!!

Well, I've wasted about 2 weeks of my life, but I finally found it. It's called The Hole by Guy Burt, and he was 18 when he wrote it. It's not very long - sort of novella-like. Here's a description

Burt's first novel (followed by two others) was published in Great Britain several years ago, and a movie version is currently in release there. This novel of psychological suspense begins with a premise similar to Donna Tartt's 1992 novel, The Secret History, but its characters are less ambitious and more gullible. Five teenagers agree to take part in what their school's mythic prankster, Martyn, calls an experiment in real life. Their plan is to disappear for three days, hiding underground in the hole, the basement of an abandoned building on campus, now accessible only by a rope ladder. When their three days pass and Martyn (and his rope ladder) fails to appear, the suspense really begins. Narrated by one of the participants in a fractured, episodic style, it leaves the reader wondering what really happened. The twist at the end feels a little contrived, but the book works overall. This slim volume, definitely a one-sitting read, is perfect for escapist reading lists.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so cool - when I saw you'd posted again, I immediately had to look incase you'd found it. I am going to find a copy and read it too, it sounds very neat.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and for book enthusiasts, I found it on www.librarything.com. It looks like you can catalog your books online, and also it matches you with other users who like the same kind of stuff.

If you're getting The Hole, you might also like A Secret History by Donna Tartt, Red Leaves by Paulina Simons, or Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason. They are all pretty much about college students, murder, etc. but the Rule of Four is pretty cerebral!

P.S. I just found another book by this same author that looks good - entitled "Sophie." I've got them both ordered from the library!