Have you ever….

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may be looney, but there have been times in my life of having pets that I would just look at an animal or a photo, and just KNOW that animal belonged in my home and life. It has happened with dogs and cats. The first time I remember it happening a breeder friend posted some photos of kittens she had. I took one look at one of the girls and knew she was mine. At the time I wasn’t looking for another cat so she went to another breeder. Fast forward a year or two. My friend called me to ask if I could take Daisy (the cat) and one of her kittens. Seems the breeder who got her from my friend had over extended herself and asked my friend for help. So it took awhile but in the end, Daisy came home. Her name was even perfect because all my girls are named for flowers. I also knew when I saw a photo of our Cavalier, Riley that he was our dog. I even told my husband when he showed me the photo- that is our dog. I recently felt that about a cameo Persian a friend was trying to place. The cat had belonged to her father and he passed away. Due to circumstances my friend can not keep her and hoped I would take her. I can’t, but I helped her find a home for her. It is with another friend.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I t happened with my Vincie girl. Her mother was a feral who lived in my neighborhood and got sick after she had 6 babies. My sister took her to the doc because she seemed unwell,brought her home, she had a terminal illness and passed away in my kitchen. All the kittens went to the bridge as well except for my Vincie. I just knew she was mine. Sh came in the house and she wouldn't let me pat her for 3 weeks but after that we were bound at the hip'💗

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had one in my teens that I knew should be mine but I wasn't allowed to keep her. She cried unless she was with me. I found her dumped in a feild, maybe 8 or 10 weeks. If she had other kittens with her, we never found them.

My mum rehomed her to her friend. I don't know what happened after that but I hope she had a good life and was given to a shelter and adopted out to a good family because I know her friend didn't keep her.

I knew a puppy was mine. My uncle was a dog breeder and had a litter of pups. I helped him with them ever day. I did such a good job that he offered to get her shots and fix her and give her to me. The mum dog didn't like children, I was about 10 years old and had won her over previously. (I was told not to go near her but snuck out to see her while she was outside. They caught me dressing her up one day. She was a good dog, just a bit nervous and needed children who understood body language of dogs.) She wouldn't let anyone other than my uncle and I in the room with the puppies until they got a bit big.
My parents turned down the offer but then Jake was never adopted and they took him 😔 Still miss my dog but Jake was a good friend to grow up with. Wasn't enough want in the area so my uncle retired her and himself after that.

Lastly, a rat. I went to a pet shop every week to get cat food and they had this one rat. I held her every week. They said she was shy but she would fall asleep in my hands. I think it was week 3 or 4 I brought her home. She was never shy at home. She was cuddle and loving with everyone and the most gentle little soul. I had her 4 years and she was PTS in my arms. I originally said they could take her to the back but she kept trying to get to me from the vet assistant. First animal I did that with and no regrets. She had inoperable cancer and went peacefully. 4 years is long for a pet rats to live. Unfortunately they've been overbred and their lifespan is at 2, much shorter than wild rats.

Most of the photos are of Ophelia on me, but she spent her last 6 months mostly hiding out in my hood when I was home. Screenshot_20221014-091620-492.png Screenshot_20221014-091805-482.png

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Not with a picture. But when we were at the vet that night for Pepe's and Boo's checkups and Nancy showed me those kittens, I was fine with the boys. When Nancy placed Mollipop in my arms, we just stared at each other. Molli knew and so did I. Even the doctor said, "That girl has just found her mama." And so she had. She took my heart that night. She still has it....and she knows it.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I went to get Tag, my soul dog, I didn't want him at first. He was zipping around like CRAZY and wanted nothing to do with me. On the drive home, he sat in his carrier and stared at me very intently. When I got him home, he walked in the house like he owned the place. No shyness, no fear, no uncertainty. It was like he was home, and he knew it...and so did I.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I felt that way with Willow when I saw her at the shelter. You could tell she was terrified of people and as I was talking to her a shelter worker reached in her cage and thrust at me. It was awful thinking of a obviously frightened cat being treated so thoughtlessly and I knew I couldn’t leave her there. Whatever kind of cat she turned out to be she would have a home with me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mine's a bit of a heartbreaker but I'm writing this to honor them and remember them 💖

There was this utterly darling Siamese whose owner had died, she was in a safe room at a shelter where I was a volunteer now and then. In the space of about two seconds she jumped from the floor up on a chair to the top of a copy machine to my shoulder. Maybe she did that with everyone, but still it was rough on me that I couldn't take her home.

That same no-kill cat shelter had a munchkin who claimed me when I visited on a different occasion. That one had a really interestingly philosophical outlook on things, and in her case I'm not sure she particularly appreciated having such short legs.

Anyway, I lived in a no-pet apartment at the time.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one in my teens that I knew should be mine but I wasn't allowed to keep her. She cried unless she was with me. I found her dumped in a feild, maybe 8 or 10 weeks. If she had other kittens with her, we never found them.

My mum rehomed her to her friend. I don't know what happened after that but I hope she had a good life and was given to a shelter and adopted out to a good family because I know her friend didn't keep her.

I knew a puppy was mine. My uncle was a dog breeder and had a litter of pups. I helped him with them ever day. I did such a good job that he offered to get her shots and fix her and give her to me. The mum dog didn't like children, I was about 10 years old and had won her over previously. (I was told not to go near her but snuck out to see her while she was outside. They caught me dressing her up one day. She was a good dog, just a bit nervous and needed children who understood body language of dogs.) She wouldn't let anyone other than my uncle and I in the room with the puppies until they got a bit big.
My parents turned down the offer but then Jake was never adopted and they took him 😔 Still miss my dog but Jake was a good friend to grow up with. Wasn't enough want in the area so my uncle retired her and himself after that.

Lastly, a rat. I went to a pet shop every week to get cat food and they had this one rat. I held her every week. They said she was shy but she would fall asleep in my hands. I think it was week 3 or 4 I brought her home. She was never shy at home. She was cuddle and loving with everyone and the most gentle little soul. I had her 4 years and she was PTS in my arms. I originally said they could take her to the back but she kept trying to get to me from the vet assistant. First animal I did that with and no regrets. She had inoperable cancer and went peacefully. 4 years is long for a pet rats to live. Unfortunately they've been overbred and their lifespan is at 2, much shorter than wild rats.

Most of the photos are of Ophelia on me, but she spent her last 6 months mostly hiding out in my hood when I was home. View attachment 433864View attachment 433865
Your Ophelia was very beautiful!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes!:redheartpump: Bunny lived with my mom but I fell in love with her instantly. DH and I had gotten married 3 months before but when my mom said she'd fallen in love with a kitten at the shelter where she had a client doing a job trial; you know I just had to tag along. They used to require everyone in the family to meet the animal before adopting. Pumpkin; the kitten she was there for, just turned 19 last month. Bunny was in the kennel above and one to the left. She was 2 years old and started rubbing on me through the bars. DH used to be allergic to cats so for a while we didn't have any. Bunny just had my heart. And moms. So we went back a couple days later to get her too.

That was a Saturday and my mom had called before they opened to see if she was still there. They said she was so we rushed over. I got there first...and she was gone. They'd only opened a short time before. I wanted to panic. :bawling2: :lol2: It turned out they'd sent her to PetSmart for a turn there. We were able to do all the paperwork then and there and they had her waiting for us at PetSmart.

She turned out to be amazing for Pumpkin; who had been a preemie and was small and sick. She bathed him and taught him manners. He'd snuggle her to sleep. She'd been returned twice for different reasons but we suspect there were more because she had issues with avoiding the litter box her whole life. She was 15/16 when she crossed The Bridge. :redheartpump:

And Mooch and Noodles were in the same kennel at the shelter when we went to look for a cat a year and a half later. Their mom was in the same kennel Pumpkin had been in. :redheartpump:

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my beloved Kami died, I swore i would never, ever get another pet. The sadness was too much.

Well, about 4 months went by and i decided i couldn't live without little paws padding around, but i felt it would be disloyal to Kami if i got another cat (I know....I know).

Anyway, I looked up to the heavens and said "Kami, you pick a cat for me". See?!! I'm not disloyal. Kami would pick her successor. So everyday for weeks and weeks and weeks, I went online and looked at all the kttens available through local shelters. They were all adorable, but I wasn't getting any types of "signals" or vibes.

Then one day, i saw an intriguing thumbnail photo......clicked on it......and immediately burst into tears. That was her!!! That was my cat!! She was coming home with me.

The moment I realized that she was REALLY REALLY meant to be was when i saw this picture i took of her. Well, Kami was born on Feb 14 and I always called her my funny Valentine. Pip has a heart on her sleeve!!
Pippy Valentine's Day.jpg
Pippy Valentine's Day.jpg

Pip is a sassy little calico.....couldn't be further in looks or temperment from Kami. She's bold where Kami was shy. She's cuddly where Kami was stand-offish. She's the centre of every party, where Kami would be under the bed.

Meant to be. Wouldn't change a thing.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little Molly started out as the neighbors cat. She would cross our dangerous street daily to eat and had her first litter at 6 months old. 2 kittens died on the road. At a year she had another litter, one died on the road, one from distemper. I said enough is enough, had her spayed and took her and her two remaining kittens in. She knew it was destiny, and so did i. She contracted leukemia out in that dangerous world. So did her kittens. Theyare still with me, 9 years old, 8.5 years old and 8!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I decided I was ready to adopt a cat, I knew I wanted a young adult cat, and for some reason I wanted an orange tabby. So when I was ready to adopt, I went to the shelter, and there was only 1 orange tabby available for adoption - Ruby. And even though I looked at all the other cats, I kept gravitating back to the orange tabby, and before I left I made the arrangements to adopt her.

Here she is the day she came home with me.

1665781854092.png

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Several years ago, pre-pandemic when Petco and Petsmart had cats for adoption on a regular basis (it appears they've begun to do this again, here and there), I saw two very b-i-g orange cats sleeping (I mean seriously zonked out lol) together in the same cubicle. Bonded kitties, siblings I assume but don't know for certain.

I couldn't take them at the time since Poppycat would have totally and completely disowned me, but they've stayed in my memory ever since.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I t happened with my Vincie girl. Her mother was a feral who lived in my neighborhood and got sick after she had 6 babies. My sister took her to the doc because she seemed unwell,brought her home, she had a terminal illness and passed away in my kitchen. All the kittens went to the bridge as well except for my Vincie. I just knew she was mine. Sh came in the house and she wouldn't let me pat her for 3 weeks but after that we were bound at the hip'💗
Mine's a bit of a heartbreaker but I'm writing this to honor them and remember them 💖

There was this utterly darling Siamese whose owner had died, she was in a safe room at a shelter where I was a volunteer now and then. In the space of about two seconds she jumped from the floor up on a chair to the top of a copy machine to my shoulder. Maybe she did that with everyone, but still it was rough on me that I couldn't take her home.

That same no-kill cat shelter had a munchkin who claimed me when I visited on a different occasion. That one had a really interestingly philosophical outlook on things, and in her case I'm not sure she particularly appreciated having such short legs.

Anyway, I lived in a no-pet apartment at the time.
my Quinn is a shoulder meezer too🤗

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may be looney, but there have been times in my life of having pets that I would just look at an animal or a photo, and just KNOW that animal belonged in my home and life. It has happened with dogs and cats. The first time I remember it happening a breeder friend posted some photos of kittens she had. I took one look at one of the girls and knew she was mine. At the time I wasn’t looking for another cat so she went to another breeder. Fast forward a year or two. My friend called me to ask if I could take Daisy (the cat) and one of her kittens. Seems the breeder who got her from my friend had over extended herself and asked my friend for help. So it took awhile but in the end, Daisy came home. Her name was even perfect because all my girls are named for flowers. I also knew when I saw a photo of our Cavalier, Riley that he was our dog. I even told my husband when he showed me the photo- that is our dog. I recently felt that about a cameo Persian a friend was trying to place. The cat had belonged to her father and he passed away. Due to circumstances my friend can not keep her and hoped I would take her. I can’t, but I helped her find a home for her. It is with another friend.
Most of the time it has been from seeing them in person and they showed up at the door or whatever lol. I remember when I saw Merlin at the front door the first time I thought how beautiful his face was, and I said to him one day you’re going to be my cat but it didn’t happen until about four years later.

With my beloved Wizard I never saw him, I just trapped him by accident and I knew the first day inside he was going to be my cat which he was for 18 years when he passed 21 or so. He was supposed to go up for adoption with a rescue I volunteered with but he turned out to be a fiv+ and they would not put him in cages etc. so we kept him.

Quinn I think is the only cat I picked from a photograph, he is my only purebred cat and when the breeder put the photos of the kittens up- I picked him because I loved his face shape. And he looked so intelligent, which he is, he is also crazy a lot of the time and feisty 😹. So I did fall in love with him from his first two photographs that she posted.

I fall in love with almost every cat and dog that I look at who’s up for adoption on petfinder but I can’t possibly take all of them in. There was one little tortie girl who I really fell in love with but I knew at the time I couldn’t adopt her and she reminded me of my Angie a little bit, I still have her picture and I hope she’s having a great life and is very loved. Here she is. ❤ Her name is Bella, which if I had been able to adopt her I would’ve kept as her name.

For my beagle pup, I was the one who picked her when we went to the farm to look at the puppies, she came over to say hi to me and I fell in love.

F3BA5031-33F1-45D9-9C9F-36F9727A5115.jpeg
BF03013F-D48A-4315-BD1C-B891D57BC907.jpeg

Last edited:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a photo, but when I saw my Caitlin in her cage at the shelter in 1996 I knew I would adopt her. She was an exquisite grey tabby kitten, three months old, and bursting with cattitude. I lost her to cancer when she was thirteen. She was my darling sweetie.

This was the first photo of her at home, taken the day she arrived. By total contrast Freya, a month older dilute calico who we adopted the same day, spent the first day invisible in the bookcase!

7FF6D1DE-6A77-4953-A118-D16F7FFC30D0.jpeg

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By contrast I knew I’d adopt Daisy, not because it was cat-love at first sight, but because Phoebe had been pining in the few days since Maddie crossed the bridge, and Daisy was the only cat at the very small shelter who was listed as being suited to living with other cats. It took a while - and was increased by the threat to her health from this cursed megacolon - but now I’m more than fond of her, I just adore her. I’m her human, I’m the one she head-butts and tells she requires my presence sitting on the bed with her RIGHT NAOW MEOWMY.

This is her shelter pic.
55A75D34-4EB4-4EFB-AB48-07223DA2B1C8.jpeg