Have you ever noticed sales tax rate from sellers?

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I buy a lot from chewy and constantly fight with them over their sales ax rate. In Missouri we are around 4,.2 % but chewy almost always charges up to 9%. I live in a rural area so the nearest town has no designated sales tax.

if I corner them they usually reduce the rate but I’m wondering

what happens to the extra almost 5%? To my sale it’s just a Few dollars but if you multiply it times their niter net sales if they do this to everyone..wow!

am I the only one who notices this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Guess I didn’t but read it now. I can comprehend what you’re saying but I order rom Petsmart ( parent company), Amazon, and lots and lots of others. Los of similar products and chewy is the only one who does this.

so I was wondering if others had experienced the same

thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Chewy charges me the tax rate(s) applicable to my state/location., but again it all depends on what taxing arrangements, based on laws, that have been made between a corporation and each and every taxing jurisdiction. It is the taxing jurisdictions that dictate that, not the companies.

I think Chewy gives you a break when you complain because they are pretty customer focused and would prefer to 'eat' the tax amount rather than try to explain the process to you. Odds are, since the tax applications are pretty much automated in most company's systems, the customer reps don't understand the nuances either and couldn't explain them if they wanted to. Trust me, whatever Chewy is required to pay, they pay even if they credit you for the tax.