Have You Ever Not Liked A Cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
There has never been a cat I didn’t like. Please rehome him if you don’t like him or want him. He deserves to be loved for who he is!

Of course I would rehome him. I care enough about him to give him a better life. I seriously doubt anyone would love Figaro with his current habits, however, he may act differently in another home.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get some dispensing tr eat balls for him or maybe a food puzzle to keep his mind occupied? At least he is a great mouser,mice can do a lot more damage than a cat

This was a thread where I felt I could talk honestly about a cat of mine, while giving people a platform to speak openly about the cats in their lives.

I so appreciate the suggestion you gave me, it certainly beats the judgement.

At this point I will happily try anything to keep Figaro.

Thank you. :)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
As the owner Figgy killing your mouse & parakeets is YOUR problem. You put a bird & mouse & lizard & bug & fish predator in a house with insecure cages for your bird and mouse, what did you think would happen?

So keeps your birds and mice in a separate room and never let cats in that room unless you are there (& awake) to supervise.

Like I said please rehome poor Figgy if you honestly do not want/like him! I would give just about anything to have my beloved ‘punk’ Dante back!!!! If you regime him look for people you have had siamese cats, they should understand/love Figgy as is!

P.S. although my cats love me only one ever head butted me and gave me kisses by touching his nose to mine! You are lucky![/QUOTE]

You have got to be kidding, you don't know me and you certainly don't get to define me.

I am a very responsible animal parent. Most of the cats that have come to live with me have been misfits that were thrown away by cretins, save your indignity for them.

Figaro was the only cat that was ever intent on getting the birds, and heaven or high water, he was going to get them.

I created this thread in the hopes of being able to talk openly about my cat. Figaro is pampered, loved, and given wide leeway and I resent your implication of suggesting otherwise.

Last edited:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly I’m not surprised that Figgy is getting the birds and mice. I’m more surprised that the other cats are leaving them alone.

In any case, it doesn’t sound like your current situation is a good one for Figgy. I don’t think his behaviors are so bad though. They just don’t work well for you. I’m sure you can find another home that will care for him.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Really? You’re insulting a kitten’s eyes? C’mon now...

OMG, it was a joke.

Let me get this straight... a cute kitten head butted you... and it wasn’t the highlight of your day? :dunno:

No, it wasn't. Having Jeff butting my hand after five months of trying to gain her trust was the cat highlight of my life.

Yep, sounds like a normal cat. My question is why you brought cats into your home with parakeets and mice and thought they would all live happily ever after? I suppose the plan was to have them all empathize with each other. ;)

Too funny. Yeah, since my other cats left my birds alone how stupid of me to think that Fig would follow suit.

That’s about as normal as it gets for a cat. You should really take it as a complement though, he brought you a gift.

No,he didn't. He was trying to keep Gypsy from getting his mouse.

I think if you want to keep him it’s going to take some deeper understanding of cats on your part. Otherwise the best thing to do for him would be to find him a loving home where he will have the care he needs.
Oh wow, I have been saving throw away felines since I was old enough to know what a cat was.

The last part I agree with.

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly I’m not surprised that Figgy is getting the birds and mice. I’m more surprised that the other cats are leaving them alone.

In any case, it doesn’t sound like your current situation is a good one for Figgy. I don’t think his behaviors are so bad though. They just don’t work well for you. I’m sure you can find another home that will care for him.

Well, since you made Fig out to be 'abused cat of the year' …..

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I made this thread partly in jest, (hence, the Sylvester and Tweedy gif) but it seems to have been taken down a dark road. In other words, 'not always liking Figaro' seems to have been equated with abusing him. Nothing could be further from the truth, Fig is fed, loved, played with, and pampered, just as with any cat who entered my life. In fact, I spend more time with him than most of my cats because he insist on it.

I have never expected any cat to be perfect since humans are the most imperfect creature there is. I have befriend cats who others have given up on and I will always strive to understand and respect them.

I thought others may chime in with similar anecdotes of their own, or perhaps give some helpful suggestions. I had no idea that this thread would receive the level of judgmental vitriol that it has.

I will use more discretion when sharing my feelings on this site in the future.

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm.. I think it's a bit silly of you to make so many 'jokes' in your initial post and then not expect us to make 'jokes' in response.

If you're just looking for people to agree with you then why ask for advice?

Read my post up above.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry about your watch but I sure wouldn’t consider it horrible behavior as the cat simply sees a toy worthy object, takes it to play with and drops it as they often do in their water.

Of course I see it as typical cat behavior- it doesn't mean I can't be annoyed by it.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you're abusing him... and I don't recall anyone else in this thread accusing you of that. :dunno:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I certainly wasn’t judging as I lived for 19 years with a cat just like yours. So horrid as a kitten that I tried unsuccessfully to give her back. She knocked things down just because she liked to watch them break, opened my dresser drawers and stole socks and jewelry. I had to leave step stools near the entrance doors because her game every single time I left the house was to leap to the top of the door as I was leaving so I would have to climb up and take her down before I could leave. She annoyed, exasperated and irritated me on a daily basis for most of her life but none of my other cats have made me laugh more. If you read through my posts and I post a funny, smart or naughty cat story, it is usually a story about Murphy.

Yours sounds like this special kind of cat, and you don’t need to like him, at least not all the time.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I certainly wasn’t judging as I lived for 19 years with a cat just like yours. So horrid as a kitten that I tried unsuccessfully to give her back. She knocked things down just because she liked to watch them break, opened my dresser drawers and stole socks and jewelry. I had to leave step stools near the entrance doors because her game every single time I left the house was to leap to the top of the door as I was leaving so I would have to climb up and take her down before I could leave. She annoyed, exasperated and irritated me on a daily basis for most of her life but none of my other cats have made me laugh more. If you read through my posts and I post a funny, smart or naughty cat story, it is usually a story about Murphy.

Yours sounds like this special kind of cat, and you don’t need to like him, at least not all the time.

Thank you, this was the kind of reply I was hoping for. I don't see cats as humans any more than I see humans as saints.

Murphy and Figgy sound like these two. :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of our nine, we call "The Introverts". Littermate rescues that bonded so severely to one another that they really see no need to bond with anyone else. They remind me of twin children that never went to primary school and were never taken apart to learn their own interests and rely soley on one another. They're perfectly friendly to people and will actively solicit attention in the form of words from strangers, but they want no petting, no holding, and even carrying them from room to room will result in an injury to your arms.
I don't dislike these cats. But for awhile I did, because when they were still new-ish to us, they were ganging up on our girl who gets stress induced UTI symptoms. The two of them were working together and "hunting" her and we were not OK with that. They did settle down and are much nicer, but still if you go to pet them, they pause and jerk back and squint at your hand, and I don't put it past them to swipe at you. They have never bitten.
The good news is, both of them love toys and will chase them for hours on end.
I think you're a bit like me. You can like and love a cat but not like or love everything that they do all of the time. (I love Baby Girl like she's my child, but I sure didn't love the day she brought a live bird inside and turned it loose :confused::confused::confused:)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding to my thread, 1 bruce 1.

"You can like and love a cat but not like or love everything that they do all of the time. (I love Baby Girl like she's my child, but I sure didn't love the day she brought a live bird inside and turned it loose"

LOL! At least she didn't hurt the poor thing, that says a lot about her compassion.

I have seen the "bonded" littermates syndrome before, they stick together for protection, it is like 'us against the world' mentality. Interestingly when a mother bear leaves her cubs to fend for themselves they stick together, safety is in numbers.

Some cats can cross over into 'people's world' while others are content to stay in the land of cats.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never not liked one of our kitties, but sometimes it's taken me a little longer to come to appreciate each one's individual purrsonality and quirks.

The first few cats we adopted either ignored us most of the time, or acted like world class jerks. One of them was an absolute terror! In each case, I thought we had made a horrible mistake. But most of the time, we were usually the ones at fault for our cats' "bad" behavior. Some of our cats needed more play time to burn off excess energy so they didn't wreak havoc and get into so much trouble, some needed more quiet cuddle time to wind down and relax, etc. It just took a while to figure out what each cat needed. If only they would have some with a personalized instruction manual, that would have saved us a lot of time and frustration! :)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Petco sells problem child sweatshirts. Perhaps your Figgy needs one? ;) I think it sums up my twerp Jackie perfectly! CE1EE6D5-4A7B-4D22-BAF5-977CA4896E17.jpeg

P.S. you would not believe how many people come here and want to get rid of their cat, neglect their poor kitty or god forbid have anger issues they physically take out on their cat. I’m sorry I took you seriously, next time a winking smiley or jk would help.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Degloved (yes it is a real thing autocorrect does not acknowledge!) Look it up if you have a strong stomach. Nick is only allowed out in a harness now. He is fine & all healed up after the vet removed half his tail.
I had a high school teacher that had a degloving injury. His hand got a little to close to a running car fan blade. His wedding ring got caught by the edge of the blade and it removed the ring along with all the skin off the finger and left just the bone and tendons behind. What was left had to be amputated. He said it was really weird that the finger still worked, moved and everything, like a skeleton in a movie. But without the skin covering it would die and get infected so the only treatment at that time was to remove it.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never not liked one of our kitties, but sometimes it's taken me a little longer to come to appreciate each one's individual purrsonality and quirks.

The first few cats we adopted either ignored us most of the time, or acted like world class jerks. One of them was an absolute terror! In each case, I thought we had made a horrible mistake. But most of the time, we were usually the ones at fault for our cats' "bad" behavior. Some of our cats needed more play time to burn off excess energy so they didn't wreak havoc and get into so much trouble, some needed more quiet cuddle time to wind down and relax, etc. It just took a while to figure out what each cat needed. If only they would have some with a personalized instruction manual, that would have saved us a lot of time and frustration! :)

LOL! I love the idea of the personalized instruction manual- that ought to come with kids too.

I agree, I think I start training him to walk on a harness. We could take long walks outside and he could remain safe.