Have To Put Tula Down...chances Of Her Reacting Badly To The Injection??

Status
Not open for further replies.

artaq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tula is 8 yrs young and has an aggressive cancer sadly. The reason I'm worried and asking this question is, she is on Prozac (fluoxetine) & Gabapentin. She has often reacted the opposite of what we thought she would from her meds... ie: a few years ago the Dr had us up the Prozac to help her chill out from the hyper-vigilance / almost paranoia that she'll exhibit, all stemming from redirected aggression. When we upped her meds, it had the opposite affect and made her even more nuts. Might that be a signal to her reacting badly to the injection the Dr will give her to put her down? I only ask because I don't want my wife to be present if it will make this even harder on her than I know it will be, Tula reacting badly would obviously do this.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello, you're in a challenging situation, and my prayers are with you, your family and Tula.

Is the doctor going to be your regular vet? If not, can you have them consult?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a sad situation. I'm sorry for you all.
Could you call the vet and ask them to do a pre-sedation without you present, this way they'll be able to notice how she reacts and be able to give her more or leave it alone, etc. without anyone getting upset?
I'm very sorry once more.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry. I am no expert but the two medications that you cat reacted differently to effect brain chemistry which is different from the barbiturates that they use for euthanasia. The drugs that they use don't really change brain chemistry they just depress the central nervous system. I can't say that things always go smoothly but the vast majority of the time they do. Your cat is no more likely to be one of the rare ones that do not go well then any other cat does. I had one done about a year and half ago and it was very peaceful. The vet used the two shot method, one shot and he went to sleep then a second shot that was the overdose of barbiturate. It was very peaceful, I didn't know that he had passed until the vet listened with her stethoscope and told me that he was gone.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ From Web MD :
How are cats euthanized?
· The euthanasia medication most vets use is pentobarbital, a seizure medication. In large doses, it quickly renders the pet unconscious. It shuts down heart and brain functions usually within one or two minutes. Sep 6, 2018

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First, let me express my sincere sympathies regarding Tula's aggressive form of cancer. :hugs: Second, I agree with the above members about the two shot method which is what my vet used also. I don't think you will need to worry about Tula experiencing a reverse side effect. I'm sure your vet will do their best to make both her and you comfortable. Once again, my deepest regrets. :sniffle:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Trust the vets, artaq artaq , once they have all the information you can give them. They will be aware of the way in which cats may respond to certain meds and will adjust accordingly. Just really go over it with them.

I'm so very sorry you are going through this. I wish Tula a smooth transition, and heartfelt condolences to you and your wife. :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artaq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update on this 4-year-old thread:

Days later, we had to put Tula down, last-minute. She had rallied and was doing better, but then went "down-hill" really fast. That's when I got a call from my wife who was frantic at home. I dropped what I was doing and drove home. It was the end of the workday, and our vet was closed. We called another vet (new to us) in the area who fortunately fit us in last-minute, to help us. We were SO grateful.

My wife and I were so out of it and in shock, that we didn't ask any questions of the vet, we just handed him her to him, wrapped in her blanket. He took her into a small exam room and had us come in a short time later. I guess he was waiting for something to happen ... now we all were waiting.

A short time later, and he was now running late for a family appointment. My wife couldn't handle the stress and went to wait in the car. I stayed.

A few minutes later, he asked me to turn around. I turned my back to him and Tula in this small room. I couldn't hear anything but I was freaking out inside. After about a minute he told me I could turn back around and say goodbye. She was gone at that point. I've no idea what he did, but I was pretty disturbed. It was an absolutely terrible experience and I felt horrible. I wish I had left the room when my wife did...or wish he had asked me to leave the room instead of just turning around. It all just was such bad timing, but it always is in those situations it seems like.

4 years later and it's a little better, I try not to think about it. I can only hope that it was quick for her.

Anyways, thanks to you all for your insight and kindness.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can only hope that it was quick for her.
She knew you were there, and from your description of things, it was quick.

Some owners are very uncomfortable because the eyes stay open, and there can be what seems to be a sigh after the pet has passed which can be startling to some, so the vet was perhaps basing his request on that.

He didn't intend to be anything other than as considerate and as kind as possible in a difficult situation.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss of Tula. I agree that this sounds as if it were extremely quick and that he possibly asked you to turn around only because he did not know you or what your reaction might be. It may even have been a standard procedure with him for his own clients.

When a cat passes on, we lock the thread out of respect. You are welcome to write a tribute to Tula in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Crossing the Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.