Have To Get Rid Of This Cat

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cats used to love digging at furniture. I have multiple scratchers and a cat tower for him now. I clip his nails and keep cat nip on his scratchers and cat tower and I have never had an issue again with him digging. He still stretches with his claws out on the side of my couch but that's it. I have in tables on both sides of my couch so he cant really get a good angle on the sides of the couch. A cover is a good option or sticky tape and claw caps are as well. There are also repellent sprays you can spray on your couch that will not smell good to a cats sensitive nose. Declawing is never an option in my opinion. I'd rather had a destroyed couch then get rid of my babies or rip their claws out. Sometimes it's just a part of the package and should be something that is thought about before getting deciding to get a cat. I will never understand why ppl declaw. It's like feeding a vegan diet because you don't believe in killing animals. It's just silly and if you didn't want an animal with sharp claws that needs to scratch to stay happy or eat meat to stay healthy then why get a cat to begin with?

edie56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
tasseeis start to use her claws on our furniture any suggestion wouild help

Nancy Ninetails

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To cool your frustration a bit, you could get covers for your furniture while you train your cat/seek out the best solution. Then if he falters and scratches, he is scratching some inexpensive covers and not your furniture.

My furniture serves its purpose and looks nice, but truth is I buy pretty inexpensive furniture because I have pets. This way I am not setting it up so I resent the cat and/or the cat is getting yelled at all the time and feeling unwelcome.

Most of my cats do not scratch my furniture, they were taught from an early age to respond to the word "no" and a finger snap signalling they were doing things they shouldn't. I do have a stubborn 5 yr old that has picked out two spots on my wood trim where he likes to sharpen his claws though. It is 100 yr old trim but at the end of the day, it is still just a thing and he is my sweet boy.

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there a pattern to the scratching? Our cat was scratching incessantly. We tried every type of scratching post and surface we could find - cardboard, sisal, carpet, etc. Double-sided tape didn't deter her. Neither did one of those pads that beeps if the cat touches it.

We finally figured out that she scratches when she is hungry. We have her (sort of) trained to the point where she eats on schedule: at 6 am and 6 pm. If we're two minutes late, the scratching starts. She probably ate a Swiss watch at some point :-)

FelinskiFamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She probably ate a Swiss watch at some point :)
Lol :) :) :)

at the end of the day, it is still just a thing and he is my sweet boy.
I agree. You shouldn't sacrifice your life, but you should understand that pet is not a toy, to toss away when it annoys you. I understand your frustration, but you should accept the fact that having a pet requires compromises and adapting. You wouldn't leave knives lying around if you had a toddler in the house. If you really do change your furniture every 6 months, next time get some cat friendly furniture. I got those Nordic style chairs cause my cat prefered fake leather ones I used to have to his scratching post. Got rid of the ruined carpet too and got a kilim. I didn't change the curtains yet but when I do, I'll choose cat-friendly ones. You CAN have both pretty AND cat-friendly furniture.

TnK

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i know it can be very frustrated but is it possible that your cat is in stress in the first place? Is he trying to tell you something? IMO, need to be careful sometimes frustration and anger energy will pass onto the cats.