Have I Done The Right Thing? New Kitten

JemVic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After pondering over getting a kitten for a while, we made the leap last weekend. We already have an older rescue (around 8ish) spayed female.

I know it's very early days yet, but I'm so worried I've made a bad decision bringing this little one home. We live in an open-plan property so it's been hard to fully separate the two. We've put the kitten in the living room with a boundary so he can't get out (whereas the resident cat can get in if she wants to).

Yesterday the resident girlie decided to venture out from under the bed (where she's been 95% of the time since bringing the kitten home) to check out what's going on. They met and there was a lot of growling and hissing from the resident, but she stayed fairly neutral in her body language (ears forward, sitting up etc..) - if anything she would step away if the kitten got too close. Fast forward a couple of hours, and the kitten managed to escape and ran straight to where the resident cat was sitting. Again a bit of hissing and growling but this time with added slow blinking. I didn't want to immediately separate them, so got a toy and when they both relaxed (resident didn't play but did stop any noise!), I put the little one back in the living room.

Since bringing the kitten home, the resident cat stays under the bed almost all the time, isn't food orientated (which is normal) and doesn't want anything to do with me (when she is out, if I get too close, she moves away). I'm using a feliway spray to help take the edge of her, but I'm worried that she might not over-come this. Is there anything I can/should do?

How long do you give it until you say it's not working? Unfortunately, I don't live in a big enough property for two cats that don't get along/aren't happy.

(NB: I did do some research before getting the kitten, and as I was told our resident had lived with other pets, I assumed she would be OK - but in hindsight, they never specifically said she was with cats).

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: And congrats on the new kitten. :bouquet:

I think it's still too early to know if they will get along. And hissing/growling isn't terrible, as that's the way cats communicate.

Your resident spending most of her time under the bed, is a bit more concerning. But as long as she continues to eat/drink/sleep and use the litter box normally, she is probably fine. Do keep an eye on her. And try to spend extra time with her, assuring her that you still love her, and that she's not being replaced.

How old is the kitten? Can you maybe put him in the bathroom for a while, just so your resident cat can walk around her home without "running into" the kitten?

TCS has the following article on How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat that might be helpful.

Good luck. Keep us posted on how things are progressing. And post pics, if you can. :camera:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post | TheCatSite

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As you said, it is early days yet, and there are some very encouraging signs. That slow blinking is HUGE! It means that your resident cat is ready to make friends...although she's probably going to have to set some boundaries and lay down a few rules, hence the hissing and growling. There may even be a swat or two in their futures, but this, too, is a part of teaching this young upstart a few cat manners! I'm a little confused on the exact timing...did you bring the kitten home on Easter weekend, or the weekend before? If it was Easter weekend, I wouldn't expect your resident cat to be out and about yet. If the weekend before, I STILL wouldn't, unless you have a very confident cat. Make sure she has food, water and litter box in the area she considers safe for a bit longer! I really think in another week, she'll be far more herself again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JemVic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks both for your responses. The kitten is 9 weeks old and our resident is about 9.

We brought the kitten home Easter weekend so, yep, very early stages.

After I got home from work today, the resident cat, Tilli, has been a lot more confident - and spent more time out from under the bed. And even better she actually came out and cuddled me! Still not 100% with me but a lot better.

We had a big achievement today and they both ate in the same room (about 1 meter away from each other) and although they didn't play together, I had two toys and had them both playing in front of each other - maybe 50cm away. There's still lots of hissing and growling from Tilli but the kitten seems to know when she means it and backs off. Which is a godsend really as I think that's what's really helping her.

I'm trying to read her signals and only bring them together when she seems curious/confident and wants to meet him. And even then, it's only for a short period and he's taken away when she appears a little overwhelmed.

Resident cat is eating and drinking ok. She's fussy with food anyway but doesn't seem to have lost any appetite.

I've always had siblings previously that got on well so I'm new to introducing two strangers. I'm hoping it's going in the right direction

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is definitely going in the right direction, and so far, at warp speed! GOOD JOB! Don't get upset if there are occasional set-backs. Those often happen. They can be overcome.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
After pondering over getting a kitten for a while, we made the leap last weekend. We already have an older rescue (around 8ish) spayed female.

I know it's very early days yet, but I'm so worried I've made a bad decision bringing this little one home. We live in an open-plan property so it's been hard to fully separate the two. We've put the kitten in the living room with a boundary so he can't get out (whereas the resident cat can get in if she wants to).

Yesterday the resident girlie decided to venture out from under the bed (where she's been 95% of the time since bringing the kitten home) to check out what's going on. They met and there was a lot of growling and hissing from the resident, but she stayed fairly neutral in her body language (ears forward, sitting up etc..) - if anything she would step away if the kitten got too close. Fast forward a couple of hours, and the kitten managed to escape and ran straight to where the resident cat was sitting. Again a bit of hissing and growling but this time with added slow blinking. I didn't want to immediately separate them, so got a toy and when they both relaxed (resident didn't play but did stop any noise!), I put the little one back in the living room.

Since bringing the kitten home, the resident cat stays under the bed almost all the time, isn't food orientated (which is normal) and doesn't want anything to do with me (when she is out, if I get too close, she moves away). I'm using a feliway spray to help take the edge of her, but I'm worried that she might not over-come this. Is there anything I can/should do?

How long do you give it until you say it's not working? Unfortunately, I don't live in a big enough property for two cats that don't get along/aren't happy.

(NB: I did do some research before getting the kitten, and as I was told our resident had lived with other pets, I assumed she would be OK - but in hindsight, they never specifically said she was with cats).
I wanted to add also it looks like things are going VERY well. It may be a long time before Resident plays with Kitten. But Resident coming out already is a huge stride to me and my experience.
I agree with above hissing and growling is Resident communicating to the Kitten to mind her. Normal. Like a teacher starting off strict at the beginning of the school year.
I can tell you my year old kitten worked with my resident to get him to play over months. I don't know if other kittens do this but she found little ways to loosen him up bit by bit. It was sweet to watch.
So this is just the beginning and looks good!!
Pictures are always welcome.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I’m thinking about getting a kitten. It’s a huge commitment. I’m not sure. My cat maybe in heat possibly. Or nesting. I’m told. Dragging around socks, wash clothes her toys making this sound. It’s disturbing. What should I do?

JemVic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m thinking about getting a kitten. It’s a huge commitment. I’m not sure. My cat maybe in heat possibly. Or nesting. I’m told. Dragging around socks, wash clothes her toys making this sound. It’s disturbing. What should I do?
Ditto cheeseburger - best to get her spayed.

As somebody taking on a similar introduction right now, you are at a point in DAYS that has taken me weeks to get to! So feel good about where you are right now. :)
Oh gosh, I'm feeling a lot more relived that it might actually work

We've had some more hissing today, and a little bit if chasing (kitten chasing the resident ) but it's something they need to work out. Resident has also sniffed the kittens bum, while hissing I should add! But that's great she feels confident getting so close.

They're separated at night - resident with us in bed and for about 70% of the day still as I'm so conscious of over doing it.

Excuse the mess - I was tidying! But this was earlier today. A little hissing from the resident but not too much!
20190424_164348.jpg

As I type, the kitten is comfy!
1556127031654404214041.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's way too early to decide if the new kitten is or isn't working out. Your resident cat is acting perfectly normal. Kittens are a pain and it is up to her instinctively to discipline and keep order in her kingdom. Hissing, growling, and swatting are all perfectly normal, as is hiding for up to months because of the big change you brought into her world. She may eventually pin the little one to the ground too, normal. Kittens move way too fast for grown cats, but eventually they will call a truce and become friends. It just takes time, you are already making progress. Mine were full grown and took a year!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep mine is fixed. I’m not going to get a kitten. This cat will go into heat again and she will be sad again.
There seems to be something going on with your cat, with what you are describing. Maybe an incomplete spay. Why don't you start a thread about her, and let's see if we can get to the bottom of it without hijacking this thread! Let me know when you do! I'll be there.

JemVic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
absolute adorable kitties
Thankyou! I think so too!

Your "old girl" looks pretty kitten-like herself. :lovecat:
She does indeed - I'm not certain on her age as I rehomed her privately and was told she was 9 last year but when I took her to a vet for a health check, they reckon she's no older than 7. So who knows! I'll probably call her 9 for another year

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There seems to be something going on with your cat, with what you are describing. Maybe an incomplete spay. Why don't you start a thread about her, and let's see if we can get to the bottom of it without hijacking this thread! Let me know when you do! I'll be there.
nah. She pees poos eats is very vocal to begin with. She brings socks, toys, drags them around the house. Maybe a play thing, or giving me presents. I did hyjack this thread didn't I? Sorry. I guess I was looking for someone going through a similar issue and asking a question. She still goes around calling before a train comes, dusk, or dawn. So did my other cat. I thought she wanted a kitten=big mistake. I'll have to learn ways to keep her entertained.

Attachments