Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Bel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a couple issues with my kit-cats.

So one of them is a serious scratcher (he has a favourite spot) unfortunately my old couch has not been keeping up with it and no matter how often i trim his nails or cover the spot he is still tearing into things. It makes me scared because I move in 6 months and buy new furniture and I am terrified that the new furniture will end up like my current couch.

Secondly, marking is always an on again off again problem for them. I find that using enzymatic cleaners especially Nature's Miracle works best but it's tough. One cat gets really, really nervous after I clean the spots he's marked. He'll sniff it a thousand times and then we go back to square one. Also, when I switch over litter boxes the problem usually winds up resolving itself over the course of a few weeks. But then after a few months (even after frequent cleaning of litter boxes wish soap and water) it starts up again. Until it gets really bad again.

I mean part of this is that I feel like maybe he is just a nervous cat by nature. He's never really grown out of it. I know he trusts me and he trusts his brother but there's a lot that scares him and makes him nervous. One of those instances is right after I clean (even with cat friendly ones) I think it's because his scent is gone and replaced with a new different one.

The last time I went to my vet he suggested I use a diffuser. I've heard about this solution for a while now but have been skeptical about if diffusers actually work to help calm cats and stop scratching/urinating/nervousness type behaviours.

What's your take on diffusers? Have they worked for you? If it works well I'll honestly, honestly buy one.

Forgot to mention I have 3 litterboxes and 2 cats.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
when I switch over litter boxes the problem usually winds up resolving itself over the course of a few weeks.
Could you try disposable litterboxes so you could have new ones more frequently, or maybe litterbox liners?

23 Proven Ways To Stop A Cat From Scratching Furniture

Renting With A Cat? Find Out How To Keep Your Landlord Happy

Solving Cat Behavior Problems: The Key Ingredient

I've seen both situations with diffusers here on the site, where members have had marvelous results, and others where the cat(s) were completely unaffected.

Music may be of more help here than expected, there's MusicForCats . com, there's an app called Relax My Cat, and even classical harp music is known to help cats become more calm.

There is this list:
Only Natural Pet has a product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, Quiet Moments Cat treats, and there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.

Also Thunderease has diffusers as does Sentry, Comfort Zone and feliway as mentioned although diffusers are expensive and not always the answer.

If it's legal where you are, you might want to check with your vet but some people have good results with CBD oil, plus there are vet-prescribed calming products too.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This discussion's post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much this was such an insightful answer and I feel like I have way more avenues that I can look to explore! Thank you!