Havahart Trap Question

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am about to start trying to trap some cats that I have been feeding on the way to work in the mornings. The person who is currently renting the house gave me permission to try to trap them because the numbers keep steadily increasing and it is getting out of control. I have spoken with the animal shelter manager and she knows I am going to start bringing some cats in. I bought a havahart trap and I have both doors set to open but am worried about what might happen if one cat goes in one end and sets the trap while another cat is coming in at the other end. Could it snap down and hurt the cat? Should I only set one door open?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have only ever set one door. I think the other door is useful if you need to use a barrier and open it for feeding. I have a barrier that I slip down to block the cat from getting out and then can safely open the back to place some food inside. I do this after the spay/neuter when the cats are once again allowed to eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just caught one of the older ones. I thought the younger ones would probably be the first ones caught. It is freaking out. I have it in my car with the trap covered with a sheet. I can't take it to the shelter for an hour. I am somewhat traumatized and shaking. Is it always this hard?

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just looked at her again. I think she may be pregnant. The shelter manager is not going to be thrilled with me bringing her an angry, feral pregnant cat. It is a no kill shelter but I told her previously that if she thinks the cat won't be adoptable, I would be willing to do a TNR and take it back if they would get the cat fixed (I would pay for it). Obviously if she is quite far in her pregnancy, that won't be an option (they will only abort in the early stages). This cat catching thing is hard.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clapcat: Yay!! Success is yours!! and you will become accustomed to the rodeos - just like it is in horse wrangling and cowherd management, there are very stressful times involved. If a cat doesn't simmer down, I use a heavier covering, such as a folded blanket. Cats are easily triggered by strange scents. I try to use coverings that are as fragrance free as possible so I keep my supplies outside with a few dry leaves added.
Also, kitties pick up on our emotions so I try hard to cling to the facts: she is getting spayed, vaccinated and probably treated for worms, fleas, etc. so once she recovers, her life will be much healthier and way more comfortable.
My favorite trap is a double-gated raccoon trap. I only set both gates if I have a particularly trap savvy feral; I disguise the trap in that instance and I place the bait on a small disposable plate or tortilla that is underneath the trap floor. Cats are more likely to trust a tunnel but like you, I worry that more than one cat will try to enter.
Keep up the good work! I am excited to read your updates! :happycat: :cheerleader: :vibes::vibes:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing a huge, proactive service. I don't want to say that it is always this hard, but you will find that it will be similar with almost any trapped cat, especially ferals. They react to the trap but I have almost always had them calm down with a heavy, clean cover put over the trap. Keep focused on all the pregnancies you will prevent and the massive problem that will not occur. You are also fortunate that the owner is on your side. The cat is upset, but also it is enclosed and safe and humane.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the encouragement. No joy this morning. One of the younger cats (less than a year old) sounds really wheezy and sneezes a lot so I think he has a URI and I would really like to get him. With the holidays and everything, I probably won't try to trap again until the end of next week. What food do you guys use? I am using fancy feast chicken pate and it seems pretty smelly but maybe not. I bought some instinct limited ingredient turkey that my cats seems to hate so I might try it because, at least to me, it is pretty strong smelling.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I trap, I use canned tuna or mackeral. I want something extra stinky and appealing. I have had one or two that would not go in the trap for tuna and wanted their regular canned food. But tuna usually does the trick.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just regular can tuna? Last time I looked at tuna (when I was trying to disguise some medicine for my cat) there was so many options I didn't know what to pick. Low sodium, in water, etc.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just use tuna in water. I have used the tuna in oil before as sometime it is more appealing. I don't worry too much about which kind as I don't use much. I usually take a bit of the oil or water and drip it from the front of the trap to the back. I might put a fleck or two along the way. I then have a small bowl or just a small pile in the way back. I line my traps with cheap puppy pee pads from the Dollar Tree.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canned sardines also work well. In the end cats are individuals so I don’t know of anything that will work on all. I had one last summer that was not interested in anything. I finally got him with some Blue Buffalo dry food. I also had to get up at 4 am for that guy. :ohwell:

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I called the shelter to see how the cat from yesterday was doing and they said he/she was still pretty scared so they hadn't really had a chance to check it out much. They were giving it a chance to calm down a bit. Poor thing.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
D dahlia : You could ask a vet about using herbs and supplements to help the kitties in the field fight off the URI symptoms. For the colonies in my yard (all TNRVd already), I add L-lysine and use decoctions of marshmallow root, slippery elm bark and licorice root blended into a slurry of canned food. If a cat is very congested, I add Homeopet's Feline Nose Relief at 10 drops per pint of fresh water. When I can afford it, I add probiotics for good measure. Also, I avoid primarily corn based food - I have been having good results with Purina Cat Chow Naturals (my ferals range in age from 3-12+ years).

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Valentine is sitting next to me. He is a big brown tabby male TomCat I pulled 10 years ago from the feral colony.

I had to use a racoon size trap to catch him. I always try to have just one side open and the other closed. Having both open, doubles the chance of one failing to latch.

Fortunately I read some info on this site the days before capturing him. They suggested that I line the back seat of my car with newspaper. Am I glad I read that. I put the Hav-A-Heart with him in it into the back seat. He immediately sprayed everywhere.
I left him at the shelter, to have a chance to find his prior family and put a 1st hold on him.

Years earlier, I picked up my brother's kitten after being neutered. He sprayed in my truck. Ten years and it never got better. When it rained, it would get worse and I had to roll down a window just to breath fresh air.

I thought my commuter car (3 hour commute per day) air quality would be destroyed.
Three days later I picked Valentine up from the shelter. After getting us home, I pulled the papers out of my car and decided to try to see where I would need to clean. I got called back to work, so no cleaning time. A couple days later and the TomCat smell was gone. The newspaper sections spread all over the back had ended up being the targets and it helped a lot.

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bear bear : Excellent reminder on protecting the vehicle's interior! I put down layers of 3mil plastic topped with towels and newspapers. That is in addition to keeping the cage covered. I am looking forward to even more hints!

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the responses. After reading the advice on protecting my car, I have just gone out and put a large broken down bankers box in the back. I haven't had any luck with the tuna. I tried Monday and today. Monday I had a little more time since I didn't have to work and I drove around for awhile before coming back and checking the trap. They were sitting around the trap and if they could have flipped me off, they would have. ;) This morning, I sprayed the trap with Feliway to see if that would help but it didn't seem to make a difference. I may have to try the chicken (no KFC but could get some at the grocery store). It is going to be pretty cold the next few days so I don't know that I want to mess around with the trap in 8 degree weather but will try again this weekend and Monday.
I stopped at the shelter on Monday and the cat I caught seems pretty miserable. She just huddles in her cat box but they said she is eating at night. She is being spayed tomorrow so, after she has recovered from that, I may turn her back out. At least she won't be breeding anymore and I will continue to feed.