Has your cat ever done this?

satsumasryummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lux was not a cuddly kitty before but he's becoming more and more so recently since I've started addressing changing the behaviour in gentle ways. So now when he comes into the bedroom when I wake up, purring so loud, I pick him up and put him on my lap and pet him and he stays, purring and looking blissful, for about 5 minutes. Sometimes he just leaves, but sometimes (especially when I'm actually holding him curled up in my arms, which he enjoys too) out of his purring blissful state he starts, and looks around wide-eyed, especially at me, then scampers off. He doesn't hide or anything, and lets me pet him with an outstretched hand after, but he looks comically surprised. Anyone else's kitty do this?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats do this too at times, I really think they get so 'in' to the purring and relaxing they forget where they are!

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
do you mean the cat comes to you for loves, and then gets his/her fill of love, but then is like "omg why am i here" and then like tries to run off but then stops dead in his/her tracks and over all confused at what does happened??

if that's what you're talking about then yes! my skittish girl Jet does this. she used to do it with me. She used to come to me for pets randomly, and I would pet her. She'd chirp and purr, but then all of a sudden she opens are eyes and realizes she's being pet, she looks at me, gets scared and runs off and does hide. lol. She's a former stray cat and has a lot of trust and insecurity issues so I never thought anything of it. 

She doesn't do this with me anymore, but she does with my boyfriend now. lol. its funny to watch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

satsumasryummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes exactly! It's like he can't believe he let himself be so near this "predator". I adopted Lux from someone who got him from a pet store, and many pet stores where I live get their cats from the cat rescue, so it's possible he was a stray. He certainly acts like one with his anxiety and trust issues. It's nice to know Jet stopped doing that eventually. Sometimes I pull Lux back and put him on my lap and he nestles in and continues purring like nothing happened! In fact he's usually purring the whole time, even when getting all wide-eyed. I guess it will just take some time for the old knowledge ("humans are scary predators") to become overridden by new information ("this one is really fun to snuggle with"). :p

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yea....it does take time, patience, love, and a boat load of calming aids! in my case anyways! LOL

yea, Jet is in that phase now "this one is really fun to snuggle with" and she's added the "so let me headbutt her until she wakes up at 4 am to pet me" 

-___-

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither of my cats headbutt me :'(
Whisky doesn't purr bur will sit on my lap sleeping sometimes for hours.
Blighty demands strokrd and purrs like a tractor but doesn't sit on my lap. He used to when he was smaller.
Advice.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Neither of my cats headbutt me :'(
Whisky doesn't purr bur will sit on my lap sleeping sometimes for hours.
Blighty demands strokrd and purrs like a tractor but doesn't sit on my lap. He used to when he was smaller.
Advice.
do your kitties sleep with you??

Jet only headbutts me in the middle of the night, or very early in the mornings when I've just woken up...those are the only times,.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
do your kitties sleep with you??
Jet only headbutts me in the middle of the night, or very early in the mornings when I've just woken up...those are the only times,.
Not lately. My Lotto did every night under the bedclothes next to me and spend the day k the my lap. These two are weird and aren't really affectionate. Sigh.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not lately. My Lotto did every night under the bedclothes next to me and spend the day k the my lap. These two are weird and aren't really affectionate. Sigh.
hide some food in your pockets! hahahaha that might do the trick!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any pockets snd that's only a temporary measure.
Why don't they love me :'( :'( :'( :'(

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i'm sure they love you very much! you're their mommy after all and all they know. you are their safe place.

I do pet and praise both my kitties when i feed them. They are not free fed and i feed them wet food only. sometimes i'll sprinkle some dry on top, they both love dry for some reason, but their diet is primarily wet.

When i bring them food i sit with them on the floor and pet them and and praise them and talk to them the whole time they are eating. 

i read on this site, from a VERY old post, that this helps the cats to form a bond with you. They learn you are not only the food bringer, but the care giver too! and you have love to offer as well as food.

If you don't already do this, give it a try. Maybe feed them on top of a table, so you can sit next to them comfortably on a chair or couch and pet them while they eat. again, i think this method is most helpful when you are feeding them on a schedule as opposed to free feeding them. This has helped me bond with my skittish kitty Jet A LOT. it has reinforced the relationship between me and Charlie (as Charlie was never skittish or sky).

I also give my kitties treats. I try to train them, but i will admit i'm not to good at it. When they do something they're supposed to, they get treats and praises, and i guess treats are kind of like giving love too!

Those are just a couple of things you can try. 

raquelmaria15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Cookie has a similar response to the original post, but instead of just getting scared she bites or scratches. Usually, it's not enough to break the skin, so I know it's more like a warning. I've heard of cats that have petting aggression, which seems like  what Cookie has. I've gotten used to her warning signals in her body language, so now I don't get bit or scratched like I used to unless I'm being mindless. It's a shame she's not a super duper cuddly kitty, but she still gives me love and I give her love all the same 

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my sister was visiting a while back, Swanie was pretty skittish around her.  One day I had her sit on the floor and then I got the bag of treats.  I started putting a treat down for him and getting closer and closer to sis.  Eventually he was right up next to her eating his treat. Then all of a sudden his eyes got real big, he looked up, and took off to the other side of the room.  It was like he said, holy cow! how did I get over here?!

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
as to the original post it could be your cat is in a semi-sleep state and even almost dreaming then snaps out of it for no apparent reason and is startled by that. It has been happening to me too much lately and it is not a pleasant feeling.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm sure they love you very much! you're their mommy after all and all they know. you are their safe place.
I do pet and praise both my kitties when i feed them. They are not free fed and i feed them wet food only. sometimes i'll sprinkle some dry on top, they both love dry for some reason, but their diet is primarily wet.
When i bring them food i sit with them on the floor and pet them and and praise them and talk to them the whole time they are eating. 
i read on this site, from a VERY old post, that this helps the cats to form a bond with you. They learn you are not only the food bringer, but the care giver too! and you have love to offer as well as food.
If you don't already do this, give it a try. Maybe feed them on top of a table, so you can sit next to them comfortably on a chair or couch and pet them while they eat. again, i think this method is most helpful when you are feeding them on a schedule as opposed to free feeding them. This has helped me bond with my skittish kitty Jet A LOT. it has reinforced the relationship between me and Charlie (as Charlie was never skittish or sky).

I also give my kitties treats. I try to train them, but i will admit i'm not to good at it. When they do something they're supposed to, they get treats and praises, and i guess treats are kind of like giving love too!

Those are just a couple of things you can try. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@lamiatron
I free feed but before we go to bed they share a tin of wet food as a treat. This they eat on the draining board. I could stand next to them while they're eating. Mind you whisky hoovers it up? :-)