Has anyone’s indoor cat had an eye infection all of sudden?

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
My cat all of sudden had a red, swollen right eye on 11/13 Sat around 10 am. His eye was totally fine 3 hours ago on same day. I still can’t get any clue.
At first, I searched for cat’s eye drop for a remedy but I was afraid If I make any mistake to get worsened so I found a local ER vet.
He had some eye test(upper respiratoray) B6AAFE54-4DC5-41A0-BA5E-7537F9BF53E4.jpeg
and result will come out this week and vet prescribed eye drop to give him 3 drops every 12 hours for 10 days.
4 days later, his right eye went normal and healthy big eye.
Today is 5th day and we think 7th day will be okay to take a cone off.

Is anyone‘s cat having an eye infection like him as indoor cat, no contact with other animal, or person?

Attachments

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Two of my previous cats contracted conjunctivitis a two or three years ago. They'd been indoor only kitties for over a decade, so we're not entirely sure where it came from. Our best guess is that they got it from my dad, who also had it, but not even the vet was sure if it could transmit between species. Hope your little buddy feels better soon.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I have. My cats are indoor only and despite the fact that I have ferals I feed, I am very careful about not coming in the house with the same clothes on as I wore to feed them, wash hands, etc. Plus, they are all very healthy. About a year ago, one of my indoor only cats got an eye infection and was treated successfully by the vet. No recurrence.

You did the right thing not to use the old eyedrops. Not all eye medication is a cure all for just any eye condition.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have. My cats are indoor only and despite the fact that I have ferals I feed, I am very careful about not coming in the house with the same clothes on as I wore to feed them, wash hands, etc. Plus, they are all very healthy. About a year ago, one of my indoor only cats got an eye infection and was treated successfully by the vet. No recurrence.

You did the right thing not to use the old eyedrops. Not all eye medication is a cure all for just any eye condition.
Thank you so much for sharing your story.
your cat is very cute 🥰
Did you use a same brand of eye drop Im currently using when your cat had an eye issue? How did your vet treat? How long did you apply for eye drop? Only eye drop was prescribedd?

He now seems healed completely but vet said it can be come back or not so i just want to avoid any recurrence in the future.

I washed hands, never worn same clothes once I go out and in. Clean home every 2 days but I just bought a roomba yesterday to clean everyday.
under the bed has lot of dust and one day my cat hid there…just guess that was the reason…

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two of my previous cats contracted conjunctivitis a two or three years ago. They'd been indoor only kitties for over a decade, so we're not entirely sure where it came from. Our best guess is that they got it from my dad, who also had it, but not even the vet was sure if it could transmit between species. Hope your little buddy feels better soon.
Thank you for sharing. He currently looks healed completely.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My vet, or the office manager messed up actually. They gave me an eye drop of which I don't remember the name and it did not work at all. Ironically, I came across something online that day which indicated that it had been recalled because it was a faulty batch that did not cure the problem. Immediately, I called the vet and somehow they did not know this. The second med was Tobramycin, one drop twice daily.

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg…can you share which clinic and vet name who messed up? I would avoid that.
I actually was terrifying to know that ER clinic I went there was most notoriously awful place by mouth of word. I read Yelp review and it was two stars and did not want to go but I had no choice.
They anyway first prescribed tobramycin and it works but price is 5 times expensive.

How terrible it was! Recalled item but vet with out of knowledge....

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet, or the office manager messed up actually. They gave me an eye drop of which I don't remember the name and it did not work at all. Ironically, I came across something online that day which indicated that it had been recalled because it was a faulty batch that did not cure the problem. Immediately, I called the vet and somehow they did not know this. The second med was Tobramycin, one drop twice daily.
vet said 2-3 drops every 12 hours for my cat, Anyway, not all vets are wonderful…..which is so sad…

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

did vet advise you to give a l-lysine supplement?

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
During a visit, he had an upper respiratory test and it came out positive a feline herpes virus 1 and I still can’t believe. He has no sneezing and his right eye healed.
They advise a l-lysine supplement.
since that ER vet is currently sued by many customers for misdiagnosis, I think I have to see my regular vet for 2nd opinion.
is it still advised to give him a supplement until I see my vet in 3 weeks?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have been given lysine supplements over the years for various cats. The cat in question did not take one, as he is notoriously hard to give anything to and the eye medication was enough to get him really upset. Lysine will probably not hurt anything; however, there is a lot of debate over whether or not it does much. Some find it very helpful and others see it as more neutral to ineffective.