Has anyone's cat been sick from raw?

leocharliezoey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I currently do not feed raw, but I'm seriously considering it. My cat, Charlie, is sick with FLUTD and I really believe it's his diet. Raw just makes sense to me, and I think it's the right thing. 

BUT, if my cats got sick or died because of this decision I would NEVER forgive myself.  EVER.  So please, has anyone cat ever been sick from the raw diet?

Thank you for your time!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry about your kitty's FLUTD. It's one of the reasons many switch to raw food. Is the FLUTD cystitis? (Inflamed bladder?) or crystals? An actual infection? What are you feeding him currently?

I have kitties with all kinds of issues, and I was nervous about the switch to raw. Our holistic vet encouraged it, but it took me a lot of time and research to get comfortable with it.

Three of our males (we have 8 cats) blocked with crystals when they were younger (2 with struvite, 1 with calcium oxalate). One of my kitties is FIV+, and he had chronic diarrhea and alleriges/food sensitivities. I have a one-eyed deaf kitty with high blood pressure and likely early stage asthma; a kitty that nearly lost his life twice to feline hemolytic anemia (an autoimmune disorder). Our Lazlo had/has large cell lymphoma - he had a large mass in his stomach with bleeding ulcers, and he was finishing up chemo when we transitioned to raw. I have a female with FLUTD/struvite crystals - she had three stones, actually, which were found just shortly after we started raw. The vet suggested we see if the raw diet would dissolve them rather than perform surgery to remove them, and it did. Some "sludge" remained, and her urine pH went back up because of the struvite sludge, so we have done a couple of rounds of using a urine acidifer (methionine - an amino acid) and sub-q fluids to flush her out.

But a raw diet, naturally high in methionine (in the meat), naturally keeps a cat's urine pH at the perfect 6.25 - 6.50, and the pee volume typically goes up, even if you've been feeding an all canned diet.

My kitties ranged in age from "4 or 5" (they're all rescue kitties) to 9 when we started the transition, and there were bumps along the way. I introduced some new proteins too quickly, which makes them vomit. Their systems become more acidic (which is natural and the way it should be, but I free fed kibble for 8 years, so there was a lot of adjustments their bodies had to go through), and late meals meant they'd sometimes vomit bile until they were used to the new diet. One of my kitties doesn't tolerate red meat very well. I learned I need to split it 50/50 with something like chicken or turkey breast. And there was some vomiting along the way as I introduced organs.

But these are normal transition "hiccups," especially with sensitive kitties or older kitties. Many transition kitties without any real issues. I was jumpy at every little thing, and we were constantly running to the vet those first couple of months. But they weren't ever sick with anything. :)

Lazlo will celebrate his one year since completing chemo next week. He remains in remission. :cross: :D

Chumley(FIV+ kitty) is symptom-free - no diarrhea, no allergies, in amazing shape!

Tuxedo (autoimmune disease that causes anemia) has an off-the-charts hematocrit at 41% (he was stable going into the raw diet, but not doing THAT well!)

ALL of them are healthier than they've ever been. Their coats are gleaming, so silky we can't keep our hands off of them. The kitties that were pudgy have lost weight and look fabulous - the vets (we work with three vets at different vet practices) are all oooing and aawing over them. :lol3: They have more energy than they have in years, and are playing like kittens.

I can't ever imagine feeding anything other than homemade - or even commercial raw - again. :rub:

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feeding raw "fixed" my cats' IBD. The vomiting that went on even before raw was due to hairballs, but that has been resolved as well.

If you're concerned about bacteria and feeding raw, you can use Dr. Pierson's approach of lightly cooking the outside of the chicken thighs I believe at 350 degrees. I use a higher heat to preserve more of the raw inside. Either way, that should take care of any bacterial concerns.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine have been on raw since August/September and no vomiting or diarrhea....and we didn't always take transitions that slowly (though slow is what is recommended.)  My Leo did have a bit of a vomiting issue when he was eating canned.  He was vomiting 1-2 times per week....we're almost certain it was from eating too fast.  That has resolved on raw (not sure why he eats it a bit slower because he does love it.)  I feel completely safe feeding them raw food and feel good about giving them the best nutrition possible. 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just started transitioning to raw 2 weeks ago after a lot of research. I'm confident that it's the right way to go in terms of feeding my cat the healthiest diet possible. I don't think it will be easy, but it's worth it to me to make the effort. Given what I know about commercial pet foods, I don't think the risks of feeding raw are higher, just different.

Oh, and for what's it worth, even though I've only fed her a little raw so far (maybe 10%), she has not had any vomiting or diarrhea issues, which she has had from commercial pet foods, both wet and dry.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We do have the occasional vomiting episode, just like any household is bound to have, but overall I think switching to raw is so much better for them. 

Our 13 year old had a ruptured anal gland last fall, and her Vet could not believe how quickly she healed from it.  We like to think it's because of her good diet

And another benefit of it which I don't think LDG mentioned is that even if you have an overweight cat on raw, they are less prone to have diabetes, because they are not eating carbohydrates. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not had any problems with my cats being sick or vomiting on raw. It has been exactly a year that I started our transition. I only had some vomiting here and there in the very beginning because a couple of mine had sensitive stomach on certain proteins - mostly beef and venison. But four of my six can eat beef and venison. It is trial and error in the beginning but so worth going through those initial ups/downs, SO worth it. :nod: Hope you give it a try and keep posting if you do because there is so much support here on this forum for raw feeding!!! YEP!!! It will make your head spin. :spin: :lol3:

Welcome to the site!! :)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the contrary..... My cats were sick from commercial food - specially kibbles. Once on raw all issues went away - starting for my Bugsy's IBD, which before raw was hopeless. I am WAY more afraid of kibbles and even canned than raw, any day :nod: