Has Anyone Tried This Combination?

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

As title says, has anyone tried mix wet and raw for your furry friends? Like in 1 meal, 50 wet and 50 raw? I don't know if this will cause any tummy issue.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m not sure about the 50-50, but I know some people will rotate wet and raw, like in this thread: Rotating Raw And Canned Wet Foods

Someone with more experience with raw food might be able to give you more info. :)

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have they had raw before? If they have, then mixing them at 50/50 is fine and shouldn't cause problems. If they haven't had raw before you might want to start closer to 75/25 wet/raw, then move towards the 50/50 mark in subsequent feedings. If you're feeding it as a meal make sure that both the raw portion and wet portion are nutritionally balanced

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s fine to feed both raw and wet, but as others said, introduce anything new slowly to not cause stomach upset.

leechi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve mixed fancy feast into primal raw that my cat didn’t really like, to get her to eat it. I didn’t have any issues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies!

Yes, Loki has had raw before, just that fact that couple days ago he did not want to touch his raw, and I had to buy some wet and mix with the raw, he loves it tho and I have been feeding him this way. Im feeding him 1 Primal frozen nugget and 1/4 5.5oz canned Natural Instinct per meal, twice a day and a tablespoon of dry at noon. I will stop feeding him kibble after this bag. Oh, is 210 kcal/day good enough for a 10-month kitten or should I increase his kcal intake? He is fixed and "medium" active level, btw

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies!

Yes, Loki has had raw before, just that fact that couple days ago he did not want to touch his raw, and I had to buy some wet and mix with the raw, he loves it tho and I have been feeding him this way. Im feeding him 1 Primal frozen nugget and 1/4 5.5oz canned Natural Instinct per meal, twice a day and a tablespoon of dry at noon. I will stop feeding him kibble after this bag. Oh, is 210 kcal/day good enough for a 10-month kitten or should I increase his kcal intake? He is fixed and "medium" active level, btw
How much does he weigh? 210kcal seems pretty low. My kitten is 9 months and gets 400-450kcal a day (granted, he is 13lbs).

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Neo_23 Neo_23 He is about 10 to 11lbs. 400kcal??? Isn't it too much? I thought neutered kitten requires less kcal per day

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine would even eat more if I let him.
The recommendation for adults that are inactive is 20xweight in pounds. For an adult 11lb cat that would be 220kcal — seems like you are feeding less than that (and he’s not an inactive adult so he should be getting more than that in my opinion).

Does your cat seem hungry still all the time? I think I would up the amount if I were you. Doesn’t seem like he is getting enough. Cats grow up until about 2 years of age. The recommendation I got from my vet for this age is about 70kcal per kg. An 11lb cat would be about 5kg, so that’s about 350kcal a day.

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Neo_23 Neo_23 Thanks for the info, I will increase his daily kcal intake to 250-270. I think that is good enough for a 10lbs kitten

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boys are about 9lbs and 10lbs at 9 months old. I've found nowhere with concrete calorie counts that are required for their age other than 'kittens may need up to double' which is frustrating because they're technically kittens since they're under a year, but I don't think they really need to be fed double what an adult would eat, since they're close to a year and their weight gain is slowing down. They also don't seem super hungry all the time either, and my vet has said that my 10lb boy is on the heavy side so I should start watching what he eats.

All that being said, I have an excel doc (because I'm a nerd and I love excel) that I input how much of whatever foods they ate a day and it tells me how many calories I'm feeding them. I've been averaging around 230-290 (not including treats). But I don't have any source that tells me that's too little or too much. They put on weight at a good pace, they don't seem overly hungry, and they've been overall healthy. But if there is a document out there that has recommended calories amounts for different aged kittens, up to a year old, I'd love to see it.