Has Anyone Tried Rehmannia Eight For Ckd?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 1 year old siamese pees a lot. The vet thought we should do a urinalysis to be on the safe side even though she has no other symptoms.

Turns out her urine was very dilute and there were a few proteins, so we ran a blood test and her phosphorous levels were high. Everything else looked good and she's not showing any other signs of kidney disease, but my vet wants to be cautious.

She told me to give her an herbal supplement called Rehmannia eight for a couple of weeks and then test her urine again. Has anyone tried this with their cat?

My vet is integrative so she uses both holistic and conventional remedies. I have been reading a lot about the benefits of this Chinese remedy for kidney function in humans, I'm hoping it works just as well with cats.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No one?

I’m also curious to know if people think I should put her on a low phosphorous diet. Her blood test results showed everything to be normal except her phosphorous level was high. I asked the vet if it could be her food and she said it shouldn’t be if I’m feeding her “balanced” food. She didn’t mention that we should do a diet change at this point. I guess she wants to see what the next urinalysis says first. But, she’s peeing up to 8 times in 24 hours now :(. Should I just switch her to low phosphorous/high protein foods anyway?

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've never heard of rehmannia eight, but then my vet is not integrative. If you're not quite sure about that suggestion from your vet, how about getting a second opinion from a different vet?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of rehmannia eight, but then my vet is not integrative. If you're not quite sure about that suggestion from your vet, how about getting a second opinion from a different vet?
Thanks for your response. It’s not that I don’t trust my vet (actually she’s the only vet I trust in my area) I was just curious to see if anyone else had tried it and what results they got.

pogo16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried rehmannia 8 and didn't feel it worked for my cat but I might have been underdosing. YMMV.
I use Kidney Support Gold by Petwellbeing, which also has rehmannia and strangely, I swear it works. I'll know at the next blood test.

If your cat's phosphorus values are high, you should DEFINITELY choose a low-phosphorus food, which is different from a. low-protein food. Ideally, you want something less than 1 percent phosphorus on a dry matter basis. Here's a list of wet foods that has the amount of phosphorus calculated:Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA

You should read the site. It's incredibly informative. If you cat isn't eating canned food right now, it should. Better yet, feed raw.

(Your vet is wrong about the phosphorus. Virtually all commercial food is balanced, but there are low-phosphorus foods and there are high-phosphorus foods. That's why Science Diet can sell low-phosphorus cat food, call it kidney food and say it's balanced. It works but I wouldn't feed that.)

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried rehmannia 8 and didn't feel it worked for my cat but I might have been underdosing. YMMV.
I use Kidney Support Gold by Petwellbeing, which also has rehmannia and strangely, I swear it works. I'll know at the next blood test.

If your cat's phosphorus values are high, you should DEFINITELY choose a low-phosphorus food, which is different from a. low-protein food. Ideally, you want something less than 1 percent phosphorus on a dry matter basis. Here's a list of wet foods that has the amount of phosphorus calculated:Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA

You should read the site. It's incredibly informative. If you cat isn't eating canned food right now, it should. Better yet, feed raw.

(Your vet is wrong about the phosphorus. Virtually all commercial food is balanced, but there are low-phosphorus foods and there are high-phosphorus foods. That's why Science Diet can sell low-phosphorus cat food, call it kidney food and say it's balanced. It works but I wouldn't feed that.)
Thanks for your response. I will definitely update on whether it ends up working for my girl.

I actually just went out this morning and picked up some low phosphorous foods based on Tanya’s list. I’m going to take her off of the freeze dried raw I was giving her because I think it was high in phosphorous. I’ll just keep her on all wet until we do her next lab tests.

I think what my vet meant was that the food shouldn’t have caused the high phosphorous issue because technically a healthy kidney should be able to handle it. But as a remedy for a cat having issues for sure I agree limiting phosphorous is important.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since your cat is used to eating raw, you should try Rad Cat. It's pricey, but its phosphorus levels can get pretty low because it uses fatty cuts of meat and uses eggshells for its calcium source.
Rad Cat Raw Diet Premium Raw Food For Cats
I thought about Radcat but it’s such a pain to obtain where I live. I have to order it a month in advance and it’s so pricey. I’m still trying to figure out whether it’s worth it.

I actually do have a tub in my freezer from December though. Do you think it would still be good?

pogo16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd feed it.
You can always make your own raw food--there's the easy way and the more laborious way. There's a raw food thread on this website. Or, you can head to facebook and join a raw feeding group. Just make sure you use eggshells and not bone for calcium.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd feed it.
You can always make your own raw food--there's the easy way and the more laborious way. There's a raw food thread on this website. Or, you can head to facebook and join a raw feeding group. Just make sure you use eggshells and not bone for calcium.
Maybe one day!