Has Anyone Tried Hound & Gatos Cat Food?

Crystal0268

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm looking for canned cat food that is low in carbs for my cat with diabetes, and also low in ingredients because she has food allergies. I found Hound & Gatos and it literally has zero carbs. I am unfamiliar with the brand and I've only found 2 reviews on it, so before I give it to my cat I wanted to see if anyone has experience with it or their brand??

Hound & Gatos Duck Formula Grain-Free Cat Food, 5.5-oz, case of 24

I also notice that it doesn't have peas, or any other vegetable like potato. It's probably not an issue for cats but I find it unusual since all other low ingredient foods do.

side note, she is currently eating Nature's Variety Instinct LID and it is too high in carbs and is making her insulin need go up.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The NV LID canned foods aren't that high in carbs but some diabetic cats are very carb sensitive. Have you looked at this food chart for low carb foods? http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

I know there are members here on TCS who do feed Hounds and Gatos. Most people seem to feed it because the brand has novel proteins that are good for cats with food intolerances. Most of the varieties are pretty close to zero carbs. Hound & Gatos Pet Foods Corp. It's a high quality expensive brand sold only at independent pet stores and online. If you can find a local store that sells the food, you can try a few individual cans to see if your cat likes it before you buy a whole case online.

You may want to also ask on the FelineDiabetes.com messge board for low carb LID foods, if you haven't already done so.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried Hound and Gatos because they don't sell it where I live, but I feed Rawz which is also very simple ingredients and 96% meat. My kitten loves it and it's currently the only wet food that doesn't give him the runs. Oh, and it's also zero carbs.

And Hound and Gatos may not have peas or potatoes but it has agar-agar as a binder which is not a very good ingredient in my opinion. Rawz uses fenugreek seeds as a binder (they are a source of soluble fiber), so I find it less harmful than most other brands of food.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat with food allergies adores the lamb, pork, and rabbit flavors from Hound & Gatos. I wasn't too keen about the agar-agar, but since commercially prepared canned food is our only option at the moment, I just crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. Thus far, the H&G seems to be working out quite nicely for us. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crystal0268

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat with food allergies adores the lamb, pork, and rabbit flavors from Hound & Gatos. I wasn't too keen about the agar-agar, but since commercially prepared canned food is our only option at the moment, I just crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. Thus far, the H&G seems to be working out quite nicely for us. :)
Thanks, I asked my vet about it and she isn't concerned. I think I'll try it. Now I just need to figure out which kind she isn't allergic to... She's had rabbit and duck of different brands but with their other added ingredients I never fully found out what meats she's allergic to, or if her reactions were to the added ingredients.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Only one od my cats will eat it. But I have a feeling tbat maybe he doesnt like beef. I'm afraid ti buy a whole case of another flavir only to have one cat eat it again. But so long as someone eats it.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I asked my vet about it and she isn't concerned. I think I'll try it. Now I just need to figure out which kind she isn't allergic to... She's had rabbit and duck of different brands but with their other added ingredients I never fully found out what meats she's allergic to, or if her reactions were to the added ingredients.
Well, vets usually recommend foods that have lots of horrible ingredients in them so I wouldn't put too much weight on what a vet says. But, at the same time I don't think the agar-agar is the worst ingredient you can get in a canned food and it's always a balancing act of picking the lesser of the evils.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can contact them, too. I'm sure they would send samples! Oh, and I meant to add that my cats didn't like the food. I saw somewhere that the food is bland? Whatever that means. I found it to be pretty dry and not very juicy, which might be why they didn't want to eat it. It could have been because of the beef, too.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crystal0268

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To update, I ordered the Hound & Gatos lamb, and it is horrible. They changed how they make it and it is very dark, very very dry, and the supplements aren't mixed in. I emailed H&G about it and their response was "We are trying hard. We're getting a lot of complaints in blogs. We're sorry." like they are aware they're making crap food but are sending it out to retailers anyway. Don't buy their lamb! The duck is made well, my cat's just allergic to it.