Has Anyone Tried A Home Cooked Diet With Human Supplements?

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried a home cooked diet made with human supplements? My kitties have severe food intolerance and allergy issues. I have tried everything I could find. Balance It used to work wonderfully until they changed the formula. I tried Alnutrin. However, they don't tolerate liver at all-either cooked or freeze dried. Eggs are an issue too. I really need to fix their diets. They have a long list of food issues.

I went to a certified nutritionist for a recipe. However, the human supplements scare me. I don't know if their livers and kidneys can filter all the fillers in the supplements. I don't know if I have much of a choice. I need to fix their diets.

Has anyone gone this route?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Mschauer. That provides a great deal of reassurance. I briefly tried a Vitamin A supplement with the Alnutrin. It seemed like they may not have tolerated it very well. It made me concerned about trying a human supplement diet.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
vitamins B E fish oil lite salt and taurine
pretty sure that's it
I've been making their food for over a year and a half and Stew went to the vet in February for his annual blood because he's on prescription medication, and they said he's great.

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks lalagimp. The recipe has a multivitamin with fillers, such as Stearic Acid and Silica and other fillers. It has additional human supplements as well. If it were just a few things, I would not be as concerned. The Vitamin A supplement I used had similar fillers. I am not sure if I was just unlucky or my cats are just that sensitive. I really wish that they tolerated liver. It has so many different nutrients that can't easily be replicated.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most homemade diets have human supplements because they don’t even make cat version ones for many of the necessary nutrients. I feel more comfortable feeding human supplements than pet ones because they are human grade and probably better quality.

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Azazel.

What does everyone use for Vitamin A? I need a Vitamin A supplement to make my recipe complete.