Has Anyone Had Luck With Nosorb?

crunchie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I got the very tiny little cup of Nosorb from my vet and put it in the litter box. My cat went into the litter box and she just meowed but wouldn't use it. She went back in a 2nd time about 10 minutes later and the same thing. No pee, just an annoyed meow.

Has anyone had any luck with this? Should I just leave it and see if she will eventually use or if she doesn't use it right away is it a lost cause? Or should I ask my Vet for more? It barely covers the bottom and my cat is a digger when she uses the litter pan.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't had experience with Nosorb but hang in there, some one with experience will be here soon. I tried googling it, but most came up with ads. I did see another forum where someone was having problems with it, so this might be common.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Nosorb... my vet gave it to me when they needed to get a urine sample for Charlie. What they said to do is to replace his regular litter with the Nosorb (the litterbox has to be super clean first, so that the sample doesn't get contaminated), and then put the litterbox in the bathroom and wait there with your cat until they use it. Unfortunately, the amount they gave me didn't even cover the bottom of Charlie's box. I then called in to ask for more and the answer was "no, that should be all you need." Since I knew there was no way that Charlie would use a box with that small amount of litter (he likes to dig and bury, so his regular litter is several inches deep), I ended up taking him back to the vet and they were able to collect the urine sample there.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nosorb has never worked for me, sorry to say.

One thing I've tried that has worked better is I covered the whole litter box (including the litter) with a plastic garbage bag and pushed the bag down so it was right on top of the litter. The cat peed on the bag, and I could just syringe it up from that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crunchie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. Yes, Nosorb didn't work for us either. I put it out for her this morning, she went into her box, meowed a couple times then left. She tried again in 20 minutes but no change. I don't know if it the pellets were just uncomfortable to her or the fact that there was barely anything in the pan.
I went to the pet store in the afternoon and bought a urine check kit there called Check Up..Home Wellness Test For Cats. It' made by kit4kats and is a non absorbent sand. The feel is very similar to the litter that she uses and you get enough to at least cover the bottom of the pan.
I was able to collect the urine about 25 minutes ago and I've already dropped it off at the vet. Phew!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nosorb has never worked for me, sorry to say.

One thing I've tried that has worked better is I covered the whole litter box (including the litter) with a plastic garbage bag and pushed the bag down so it was right on top of the litter. The cat peed on the bag, and I could just syringe it up from that.
Now, that is a rather genius idea! I'll file it away for future reference!

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. Yes, Nosorb didn't work for us either. I put it out for her this morning, she went into her box, meowed a couple times then left. She tried again in 20 minutes but no change. I don't know if it the pellets were just uncomfortable to her or the fact that there was barely anything in the pan.
I went to the pet store in the afternoon and bought a urine check kit there called Check Up..Home Wellness Test For Cats. It' made by kit4kats and is a non absorbent sand. The feel is very similar to the litter that she uses and you get enough to at least cover the bottom of the pan.
I was able to collect the urine about 25 minutes ago and I've already dropped it off at the vet. Phew!
OH GOOD! Let us know how things are!

crunchie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Mamanyt1953, her urine sample passed so the referral has been sent to the clinic so that she can get the Radioactive Iodine treatment for her HyperThyroid.
The vet did find some crystals in her urine though, so she has now been put on a Rx Diet and I'll need to transition her to wet food.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also use throughly rinsed fish tank gravel (maybe not the really fine sharp stuff) or pebbles or the deocrative pebbles used for flower vases. Put a layer into the litter box and wait for the cat to pee. With some cats you can stick a long handled ladel or even a small cup under the tail to collect the pee.

I looked up Check Up..Home Wellness Test For Cats and it's the same stuff used in the scientifc world for collecting urine samples from lab animals. Only one company makes this non-absorbant sand.

crunchie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went into the pet store in the first place to look for aquarium gravel to try, but then I found the box of Check Up. I had a feeling that it was also the texture that my cat didn't like. The Check Up has the same texture as her litter (A&H Clump & Seal).
Trying to get a cup or ladel under her would be very difficult as her litter box is inside of a closet so I wouldn't be able to get around her. She tends to go in, turn around a look out while she uses the litter box.
I also tried putting Saran wrap on her litter but she just moved it out of the way. Putting it right around the box or using a garbage bag as suggested by Blakeley Green might have worked.
I didn't want to mess around too much with it because the last thing that I wanted to do was develop some litter box issues with her.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, the last thing you need is box issues! But all is well, and you can now move forward getting her healthy!

With some cats you can stick a long handled ladel or even a small cup under the tail to collect the pee.
And with some cats, you'd draw back a shredded ladel and a nub of a hand. Ask me how I know this.

crunchie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And with some cats, you'd draw back a shredded ladel and a nub of a hand. Ask me how I know this

I can relate to this, it's probably what would happen to me as well ;)

Dilutetortislave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It can take a lot of practice and patience to collect pee from a cat.

With any non-absorbent litter replacement, technically you don't NEED enough to cover the entire bottom of the box, although some cats may prefer it that way.

A cat will need to be shut in a room, bathrooms work best, with nothing else absorbent (no rug, no towels, no soft toys, etc.) with just their food, water, and litter box for even up to 36 hours or longer. It can be stressful on everyone, but getting pee really is that important.

I would also plug up the bathtub and sink, just in case they pee there. If they pee on the floor you should be able to suck that up with a syringe as long as you get it before it dries.

crunchie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Dilutetortislave but using that product that I found at the pet store was the easiest thing possible. No locking the cat in the bathroom etc etc. Just put it in the litter box and wait for her to normally pee then collect the urine right after. Even if she were to bury it you can still collect it by moving the sand over.

llsrvd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just had my first experience with Nosorb. I was very skeptical that my cat would use an almost empty litter box. She does like to dig and the litter is always thrown out around the box! However, I put a clean box with a hand full of the Nosorb down right before a time I know she often pees. She got right in the box and peed, no problem. I was really surprised. It was easy to then pour the sample into the container I got from the vet.