Has anyone got an underactive thyroid?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Primula

What dosage do you take? Doc started me on 40 mg. then changed to 75 mg.
I'm currently on 100mcg but doctor said I will probably need 125 but I have to wait for my next results.x

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthyb

Yes it is levethyroxin, I was told by my GP that taking sea kelp is ok but now I'm worried incase it does hinder my results. My next blood test is next tuesday and I'm hoping to get a bit closer or at my dosage level now as its draining me. I just want to be normal again, its been a tough year.x

I'm currently on 100mcg but doctor said I will probably need 125 but I have to wait for my next results.x
If your GP knows you're taking kelp, he's probably taking it into account. Is 100 mg. your initial dosage following the OP, or did you start out at a lower one?
I'm "starting" on 100 mg., which I'd been on for two decades before it was reduced to 75 mg. earlier this year. I saw my doctor yesterday, and he thinks I'll end up on 125 or 150 mg., but won't prescribe that right away - he, too, is going to wait for more blood test results.

I know what you mean about feeling drained. Everything - just taking a shower or walking for 10 minutes - is exhausting to me right now, but my surgery was just a week ago, so that might be playing a role.

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Primula

My doctor diagnosed my thyroid condition a few years back and I take levothyroxin, which is probably what you take. (Apparently this is very common in older women.) It works perfectly and I can get 3 months supply for $6 at Walmart. I didn't know I had a thyroid condition until diagnosed, but I did have horrible calf pains. After taking levothyroxin for a while, pains disappeared. Apparently low thyroid can cause muscular pains.
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 20 years ago. I take Levothyroxine, too. Recently my Dr. increased my dosage to 75mcg because my blood pressure suddenly rose...I started having calf pains (OUCH!) and my hands shook involuntarily. It was crazy for a while. I feel normal again now that they stablized my thyroid.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

If your GP knows you're taking kelp, he's probably taking it into account. Is 100 mg. your initial dosage following the OP, or did you start out at a lower one?
I'm "starting" on 100 mg., which I'd been on for two decades before it was reduced to 75 mg. earlier this year. I saw my doctor yesterday, and he thinks I'll end up on 125 or 150 mg., but won't prescribe that right away - he, too, is going to wait for more blood test results.

I know what you mean about feeling drained. Everything - just taking a shower or walking for 10 minutes - is exhausting to me right now, but my surgery was just a week ago, so that might be playing a role.
I was started on 50,oh my gosh, you're doing so well for saying you only had your op a week ago. I am feeling alot better today, I think I've had a virus or something and that has made me feel crap, its weird because some days I feel fine and other gosh its awful and its more the mental part that affects me.x

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

its more the mental part that affects me.x
Does it bother you that you'll have to take meds every day for the rest of your life? I figure diabetics have it a lot worse, having to really watch what they eat or take insulin every day and worry about future health problems.

Once you're stabilized, you'll only have to make sure your supply of pills isn't running too low, have a blood test 2 - 4 times a year, an occasional ultrasound and perhaps a scintigram (thyroid scan), which is nothing nowadays, as you just get a shot and are put under a smallish device that's open on the sides.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Does it bother you that you'll have to take meds every day for the rest of your life? I figure diabetics have it a lot worse, having to really watch what they eat or take insulin every day and worry about future health problems.

Once you're stabilized, you'll only have to make sure your supply of pills isn't running too low, have a blood test 2 - 4 times a year, an occasional ultrasound and perhaps a scintigram (thyroid scan), which is nothing nowadays, as you just get a shot and are put under a smallish device that's open on the sides.
Yeah it does but what worries me more is that I still have part of my thyroid left and if that ever goes into a goiter I may need surgery again and I was bad enouh when I had surgery in may, I was terrified. I do just wish I was normal, I think once my meds are sorted I will be ok, I do get alot of depression like symptoms which really hinder me at the minute.x

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
As long as you take your pill every day and your doctor keeps an eye on the proper dosage, you shouldn't have trouble with what's left. Also, should there be any trouble, the remaining tissue could probably be removed endoscopically or destroyed with radioactive iodine.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kimward34

I started having calf pains (OUCH!)
My calf pains were horrible and nobody knew what caused them. I had no pain walking, but if I got on my hands and knees, for example, getting up again was sheer murder in my calves. Started on the levo and calf pains disappeared. I read in the accompanying scrip literature that low thyroid condition can cause all kinds of muscular pains. Wouldn't you think internist would have known this as I complained about it for a long time before she diagnosed the thyroid condition?