Has anyone ever seen this happen on a cat's paw pads?

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

With autoimmune disorders, the immune system is in overdrive and is attacking the body.  The steroid ratches down the immune response.  http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/autoimmunediseases.html

The big one with kitties is IBD where the immune system is attacking the digestive tract.  That's why so many kitties with IBD are on steroids.
Yes, I agree. With autoimmune (IBD, stomatitis, pemphigus, etc.), the immune system sees the body or certain organs as "foreign" and mistakenly attacks it. This continued action without management destroys healthy tissue. Steroids come into play to say, "hey, slow down, leave the body alone."

With immune-compromised kitties (FIV, FeLV, cancer, etc.), immuno-stimulants are commonly used.

You typically do not want to use immuno-stimulants for autoimmune disorders. There are supplements and holistic treatments that fall into a sort of immune-modulator category that neither stimulant or suppress the immune system that could provide overall system support.

janet b

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 I just had to put my cat- (Tiggy} down today. The vet said that his paw pads were the worst she had ever seen. Tiggy's paw pads would swell red ballons and bleed all over the house. He could not walk well. His eyes were wide and unhappy with this incurable disease that would have only become worse with time. Cat sleep is the best thing for him. He was only five years old. I had been through the death of my Mom and Dad in that five years. Tiggy was always ready to sit on my lap and comfort me in troubled times. When he became so troubled, I had to have it done. My other six cats are fine, but there is always the special one that will be missed.

This reminds me of the cruelty of declawing. Vets need to stop this. I saw the pain Tiggy felt when he could not walk well. Declawed cats are in at least as much pain! Do not delclaw your cat.      

Janet