Has anyone ever had a cat with feline hyperesthesia (FHS)? Any advice or guidance would be so appreciated!

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I'm hoping I can get some advice on how to help a cat with (suspected) FHS! Or experiences from others who have had cats with the same.

My 3 year old neutered male cat suddenly started getting bouts of twitching and agitation this year. During his episodes, he twitches as if he tastes something bad in his mouth and might chase his tail, aggressively lick himself, twitch/roll the back half of his body, sprint around and vocalize-- all pretty textbook FHS symptoms. We've run the gambit of tests and scans to no avail, and through process of elimination-- my vet suspects that the culprit is FHS.

I know there is no real cure or treatment for the disorder-- so does anyone have any guidance on how to help my cat manage the issue/lower the frequency of episodes and how to help him feel more comfortable during his episodes?

I've always done my best to maintain a stress-free environment, I have no other pets, few house-guests, maintain a relatively consistent schedule, feed him well and at the same time every day. But I moved in late December and three weeks later he had his first episode, it's happened about once/twice a month since then-- could moving-related stress still be the culprit?

Thank you!! Pic of my precious little guy napping for tax :)

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Feline Hyperesthesia – TheCatSite Articles
TCS article
Search Results for Query: hyperesthesia
TCS threads which may be helpful. This condition is referenced on a somewhat regular basis.
Hyperesthesia Syndrome.
Cornell article with good overview of the high points FSH.

I had a cat, Chelsea, who was dxed with FHS. IMO, the questions becomes how serious and frequent is it and how likely is the cat to do any real damage to himself. Chelsea was in the middle; the episodes were "violent" enough that I would not touch her. They were mostly focused on her tail which she seemed to not recognize as a part of her body; however, it never went to self mutilation. If I picked up a pillow and touched her with it to separate her from her tail, she came to and stopped. A cat who does not, especially one who might be left alone all day, could have more serious consequences.

The condition is not entirely understood so triggers are hard to identify, if there were to be any external stressors. For a cat who might be in danger of harming himself, gabapentin is usually prescribed. Personally, I don't think that this is a bad way to go if it is needed.

You did not cause this, even if you did move. I would not even go so far as to say that the move caused it unless your vet thinks that may be a piece to this.Chelsea lived a completely stress free indoor life, on her own terms, and I always saw it as part of a seizure disorder (one theory).

Keep observing your little boy and update the vet if you see more severe changes. Chelsea did not react to taste as a cause, but your description sounds similar to her case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the resources and advice, I’m sorry I did not see this earlier!

Since posting this he’s had about two more episodes— thank you for mentioning the pillow trick, I tried it and it does seem to work/shorten the length of his episode. It’s frustrating that it’s not a well-understood condition but he’s rarely home alone so hopefully I can just there to monitor and care for him when he needs me.

Thanks again!
Feline Hyperesthesia – TheCatSite Articles
TCS article
Search Results for Query: hyperesthesia
TCS threads which may be helpful. This condition is referenced on a somewhat regular basis.
Hyperesthesia Syndrome.
Cornell article with good overview of the high points FSH.

I had a cat, Chelsea, who was dxed with FHS. IMO, the questions becomes how serious and frequent is it and how likely is the cat to do any real damage to himself. Chelsea was in the middle; the episodes were "violent" enough that I would not touch her. They were mostly focused on her tail which she seemed to not recognize as a part of her body; however, it never went to self mutilation. If I picked up a pillow and touched her with it to separate her from her tail, she came to and stopped. A cat who does not, especially one who might be left alone all day, could have more serious consequences.

The condition is not entirely understood so triggers are hard to identify, if there were to be any external stressors. For a cat who might be in danger of harming himself, gabapentin is usually prescribed. Personally, I don't think that this is a bad way to go if it is needed.

You did not cause this, even if you did move. I would not even go so far as to say that the move caused it unless your vet thinks that may be a piece to this.Chelsea lived a completely stress free indoor life, on her own terms, and I always saw it as part of a seizure disorder (one theory).

Keep observing your little boy and update the vet if you see more severe changes. Chelsea did not react to taste as a cause, but your description sounds similar to her case.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
CBD works great for my boy. I give it when he has an episode and it calms it down quickly.

Bilqis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I realise this post is a bit old now, so I hope you've found some relief for your cat! My cat was diagnosed with hyperaesthenia possibly related to hip osteoarthritis, and put on Gabapentin, which didn't seem to affect the hyperaesthenia but did allow him to walk upstairs. A while later I discovered that regular grooming with a flea comb helped enormously with the hyperaesthenia, and basically it stopped. Previously I had groomed him with a brush, but the flea comb was magical. He didn't have fleas, but I think he had matted or greasy fur around his hind limbs and tail which wasn't detectable by touch, and somehow the flea comb (especially through thorough back-combing, and then normal combing) could resolve it. Probably won't work for most cats, but just adding it here in case it helps someone!