Has anybody tried Fresh Is Best Freeze Dried Raw....Phosphorous %?

Deex2

2 Boys & A Girl
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have tried or are using Fresh Is Best, were you able to figure out the phosphorus per serving %???? I have looked at their posted info and I'll be darned if I can figure it out. It is so confusing and the way they have their info listed makes it even harder, at least for me. Also I thought i read something about some sort of calculator to help figure this out if you could provide that link too I'd really appreciate it.:)

HELP
https://www.freshisbest.com/freeze-dried-cat-food-chicken-typical-analysis/

https://www.freshisbest.com/freeze-dried-cat-food-chicken-feeding-chart/

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For phos. %, it's best to simply call them and ask. I am unaware of any calculator that will help you figure it out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Deex2

2 Boys & A Girl
Young Cat
Purraise
For phos. %, it's best to simply call them and ask. I am unaware of any calculator that will help you figure it out.
I have contacted them and they basically told me to have my vet figure it out, hence my question on here.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have contacted them and they basically told me to have my vet figure it out, hence my question on here.
Wow! That's shocking. I am not aware of ANY Vet that could figure that out. Vet's are not really trained in that sort of thing.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it looks to me like they're saying the dry matter phosphorus is .95%. But if it were me, I'd call them to ask if that's a correct assumption based on their slightly odd table.

I also wonder if L lisamarie12 might have any thoughts about Fresh Is Best and phosphorus. I think she has fed it at some point.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting, this looks like it might be worth trying - I'm in need of some extra convenience these days. And Fresh is Best is a good brand, my kitties have always loved their giblet treats. Does anyone know how much bone is in this food? In the ingredients, bone meal is listed after all the veggies. Since the veggies are 10% of the total, I would guess that bone content isn't excessive.

Hare Today makes freeze dried food, but I never tried it because it is not supplemented. Having to mix it with Alnutrin & fish oil rather defeats the purpose of convenience. With this food you still have to add fish oil but that's fairly easy.

From the ingredients list etc, I wouldn't feed this exclusively. No taurine added, and the 10% veggies is annoying. I ordered some to try out anyway. It looks better than other commercial options which are heavier on vegetables and almost universally have very high bone content (because bone, like veggies, is cheap filler).

BTW for anyone else looking to try this: Amazon has it but at a much higher price than you can get on the Fresh Is Best website, and they only carry the chicken. I ordered from Fresh is Best directly.

Another question for the group...don't know if there's any way to answer it. I think one of biggest benefits of feeding cats fresh, raw meats is that it naturally includes probiotic bacteria. I think that's what people refer to as "enzymes" in the food....except that enzymes are proteins that get broken down into their amino acid components when eaten, so the touted benefits of "enzymes" in food is, well, silly. But, it makes sense when you realize it's about good bacteria. Anyway here's my question: are these bacteria preserved in freeze dried food? My guess is that they are but only partially. Sort of like probiotics in pills, some of those may survive but it's not reliable.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it looks to me like they're saying the dry matter phosphorus is .95%. But if it were me, I'd call them to ask if that's a correct assumption based on their slightly odd table.

I also wonder if L lisamarie12 might have any thoughts about Fresh Is Best and phosphorus. I think she has fed it at some point.

I personally am not using any foods with kelp anymore, my 14 year old Molly was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism recently.

When I used FIB years ago, both my cats enjoyed the food. I would also follow up with the company re phosphorus, to get an updated value.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Say what? The company, Fresh Is Best, told you to ask your vet to figure out the phosphorus percentage in their food? Totally unacceptable, shame on their rudeness and lack of transparency, on that basis alone I wouldn't use that brand.