Has Any One Had To Shake There Cat To Wake Them Up?

Deafcats1999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 6yrs old she's deaf to well she was sleeping beside me last night and I went to move her so I could get up she was Limp and wasn't responding to me picking her up so I turned on my light to see if she was alright after a min I shook her and it took 5 min to walk her is this normal?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you've not gotten a reply before now! It may be because no one who read your post has had this happen with their own cat, but it does happen and not just to deaf cats. I've not experienced it in one of my cats but here are two threads that discuss the problem. They're quite old but at least you will know that you are not alone.

My cat goes into a coma when he sleeps
Kitty sometimes hard to wake up

Some posters in the threads indicate such deep sleep is nothing to worry about while others believe it warrants a visit to the vet. If this suddenly happened to one of my cats, I would probably take them in just to be on the safe side, but it doesn't seem like it's an emergency.

Last edited:

mfena0720

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 15 yr old cat Blondie had this reaction a few times recently, but he was very ill. It didn't take five minutes though, I'd say more like close to 20 seconds. Five minutes is a loooong time so I imagine it must have been terrifying.

Just like margd suggested I would take kitty to the vet just to be safe, just to rule out if it's a neurological problem or some other issue.

Given that you posted this a couple days ago, hopefully you did not have to take her in for any emergency situation. I hope she's okay; please let us know how you both are doing.

Emm