Harness

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was actually a nice day outside, so I took Oscar outside with a harness. He did well. He seemed to really like it. I put him on about a 10 foot lead, and he explored however as soon as his lead would get tight, his reaction was too slide out of the harness. I want him to be able to explore on his lead in the spring and summer while I garden, so he needs to not be able to slide out. Our neighbors on both sides of us have dogs, so I don’t want him to get scared and get out and not come back. Oscar is declawed by his previous owners so he has no defense for himself. I really want him to be able to go outside, he is the kind of cat that needs that stimulation. Any ideas for an escape proof harness? I want to try to buy one locally so I know if it fits him. I have seen the kitty holster, but they come in many sizes and I don’t know what size to get him and can’t find that brand for sale locally.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have any help regarding sizing - I spent a little bit of cash trying to find one that fit the Big Guy and I'm still not sure about it, but with a soft sort of bungee cord give in the leash thing I created so it's not such a hard stop, he seems ok when he gets to the end of it and actually pushes against it LOL. However, I did want to say GO YOU!! and GO OSCAR!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oscar and I just did a quick impromptu visit to the pet supplies store to see if they had any ideas. It was so fun! Oscar was his cute curious self and like always he made friends quickly! The staff helped me try several different cat and dog harnesses on Oscar and I finally settled on a mesh one that I think will work well. I highly recommend taking a cat in to the store, if you are able. The staff were so excited to see a cat! They said dogs come in all the time, but never cats! They even gave him a small sample of cat treats! They told me to bring him again and I think I will, it was a good friendly place for him to ride in the car to that’s not the vet. It snowed last night, but we gave the new harness a quick try outside and Oscar did great. He walked well, and responded to my voice and even the occasional tug to get him to follow me. I think I might start taking pictures and document Oscar’s journey of becoming an adventure kitty.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
oh my goodness this is SO cool, I can just envision you guys inside the store and what a terrific response from the store staff. I LOVE it!! There are a lot of folks here who would get a big bang out of any videos you care to share. What fun!! It just makes my whole day to hear a person/cat relationship like this, I'm just tickled pink! :purr:

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
adventuregirl adventuregirl What kind of harness did you end up getting for Oscar? I'm also looking for a harness for my cat but don't really know anything about the size/fit/style, other than an article I read that said the H-shape is usually preferred over the 8-figure shape... Thanks for sharing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
adventuregirl adventuregirl What kind of harness did you end up getting for Oscar? I'm also looking for a harness for my cat but don't really know anything about the size/fit/style, other than an article I read that said the H-shape is usually preferred over the 8-figure shape... Thanks for sharing.
I got a Coastal Comforts Adjustable Mesh Cat Harness from Pet Supplies Plus. I took Oscar to the store and they let us try everything on. If you are able to take your cat in I highly recommend it. The employees were extra helpful and showered Oscar with attention, and the added benefit of being able to try things on was just what we needed!
received_10213575372471311.jpeg
edited to add I started a thread called Oscar's adventures in the Fur pictures section that I post in when Oscar and I go hiking. He is becoming quite the adventure cat!

Last edited:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smaller harness or tighten it up. If he's never worn a harness, and doesn't mind the harness....it's not tight enough. Once it's tight enough, he won't like it one bit (initially). Then it just a matter of time before he gets used to it so that he won't fight it.