Harness Training; Yowling To Go Outside

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey,

I've started harness training my recently turned 1-year old cats.

One of them, Spartacus, has fallen in love with the outdoor explorations and has started yowling to go out. This meow sounds like a baby. Like a frightened and extremely pained cat. He also scratches at the door and tries to find a way to open it (which is impossible, don't worry).

I want to know your experiences.

Did anyone else's cat react like this? Did the yowling stop? I'm scared I opened a can of worms and I'm worried about continuing this or not, but I love that he loves it and it's fun to go out with him.

My husband and I ignore the yowls and I'm only letting him go out with me now when he is in a different room away from the door and being quiet.

Thanks for your advice/tips/stories!

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cats are allowed in the back yard part of the day. Our newest cat is not, because she is so skittish and actually doesn't want to go out. She goes about once a day on a leash with me, and won't go with anyone else or any other way. This is new to us, and rather odd. :crackup:
But we have had two cats in the past that pleaded to go out on days and times we won't allow it. (Bad weather, nighttime) You must be consistent, because otherwise it is the feline who is doing the training *of you* ;)
They seem to get stuck in certain grooves (like sleeping places or patrolling circles) only to change them every few weeks. This shall pass, IF you hold firm.

echo.rory.noodles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our oldest cat used to beg to go outside at our old house. She LOVED going it. We started taking her in the backyard some as a kitten and she just became obsessed. She would sit at the door and meow and scratch and rub up against it begging to go out.

Now that we’ve moved, she is still adjusting to the new house and stays in the front part of the house only. She meows and scratches at our bedroom window almost every night at ridiculous hours but freaks out when we try to take her in the backyard. I keep hoping she’ll stop but we’ve lived here since April and no such luck :lol:

Hopefully your kitty grows out of it!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocomputer:We take Gypsy out when we can, but NEVER when she is at the door demanding to go out, we go to another room until she gives up. Now, her vocalizing once her harness is on and we hoomuns are taking too long to get the leash on and the door open is a totally different story :D