Harness & Leash Training

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone trained their cats to walk on a harness/leash?  My Siamese boy gets really upset if I go outside without him, I'd like to train him to walk on a leash (but don't trust just a collar), so he could go outside with me.  I can't really do an outside enclosure where I live, plus would like to take him places with me sometimes.  

Is there a "BEST" type of harness?  I'm going to a cat show this weekend, hoping I might find one at a vendor there.

How did you train?  

I have put dog shirts on him a couple times just playing around, and he didn't seem to mind at all, so I don't think he will freak out over a harness.  

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there HarleyDiva,
I have had some success with harness and leash training. However, if you want your cat to walk with you, it's much easier if you start when your cat is a small kitten. I already wrote a blog entry on the subject, so I'll just post a link to it here:

http://ecatbehaviors.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-to-leash-train-your-cat.html

I give tips on training and I also talk a little bit about different types of harnesses that work well. I wish you the best of luck with your endeavor!