Harness Help Request

Mickpest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good afternoon all,
I am trying to find a good harness for our kitty Mickey. When we first adopted him, I had started harness training him while waiting for he and our resident cat to become integrated. He seemed to enjoy the training and it became part of our activities in addition to play, etc... He was doing really well with it till the big "blow up" between he and our resident cat which resulted in him being put on medication for anxiety and starting over with introductions.
Long story short, 6 weeks later he is a much happier boy and is just about fully integrated into the household with our resident Pesto. However, he now completely rejects the harness! It is of the more standard type, the kind you slip over the head and put one paw through and click together on top and behind the shoulders. I had gotten to the point earlier where I had it completely on him with no problem, now I can't get it over his head without him flipping over and him frantically biting and clawing at it. Any thoughts or success stories with other models of harnesses? Thanks!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Mickey still on anxiety medication?
How long has it been since he last wore a harness?
Is this how Mickey behaved the first time you put a harness on him?

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mickpest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Margret, and thanks for your response!
We adopted Mickey in early February, and while we were working on integrating the two cats, I started harness training him in late February. We only got to the point of him having it completely on him and I had just started trying to get him used to the feeling, so only about 3 or 4 sessions of the harness completely on him (inside not out), and only on him for about 5 minutes. He hadn't gotten completely past the "funny walking" stage, but had no problems with me getting it over his head, etc.... In late March the boys had a fall out and harness training stopped while we got him going on his meds and giving him down time and then reintros. He's been on the medication for about 6-7 weeks now. I had tried starting all over again with the training from square one, but he will have none of it which is sad as he is so young and think he would greatly benefit from getting some time outside safely.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, this is just a guess.

I think there's a chance that Mickey associates the harness with his problems with the other cat, especially since the problems improved when he stopped wearing the harness.

My best advice (and if anyone else gives you advice on this you should follow their advice, not mine) is that you should give Mickey another couple of months to get used to the idea that things are once again okay, and then you should try him with a different harness. And I mean totally different. Different brand name, different material, different color (cats don't have good color perception, but they do have some), everything. Try to find one that's made from fabric rather than strapping. I found one at, um, PetCo? PetSmart?, one of those, anyhow, with buckles rather than the Velcro you get on the fancy handmade harnesses you can order online, and it works extremely well, is harder for a cat to back out of than those nylon strap harnesses, and is a good deal cheaper than custom made.

Also, perhaps it would help to put the harness in his bedding for a few days before you try to use it for the first time, so it acquires his smell.

I hope this works for you. Better yet, I hope that someone more knowledgeable than I responds to your thread.

Margret

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know some cats don't like the feel of the harnesses with the straps... here's another style you could look at, it's called the kitty holster and is more like a jacket than a harness, which Mickey might find more comfortable. Here's a link: Cats who hate harnesses LOVE the Kitty Holster cat harness! Walk your cat!
Ooh, I like that one! I'm bookmarking it, for the next time Jasmine needs a new harness. Thanks!

M Mickpest , please note that this harness goes on in a different manner -- no having to push an unwilling leg through the harness to get it on. I strongly suspect that Mickey wouldn't associate this harness with any negative previous experience.

Margret

Mickpest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your responses! I will go check this holster out! The weather is getting so nice, I am sure he would love to go chase a couple bugs around. :)

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pugs2Persians by Pugs2Persians
Their shop is on vacation right now but that's where Tommy and Stewart get their harnesses from. I also ordered two for the girls, but we haven't needed to use them yet. One snap around the collar and then just one snap around their chest. They HATED figure 8 harnesses and do great in these "H" harnesses.
10624774_10205131270819598_3552382735138977991_n.jpg

Mickpest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pugs2Persians by Pugs2Persians
Their shop is on vacation right now but that's where Tommy and Stewart get their harnesses from. I also ordered two for the girls, but we haven't needed to use them yet. One snap around the collar and then just one snap around their chest. They HATED figure 8 harnesses and do great in these "H" harnesses. View attachment 182395
Thanks! I will check these out as well. :)

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Our ex-stray Gypsy has been a full time house cat since she came home limping in Feb. She really wanted to go out when the weather got nice so I picked up a nice 'H' nylon harness from Petco. She did really well but I didn't feel it was secure enough. After considerable research I decided on the Kitty Holster Cat Harness. We feel very safe with her in it. 20170518_165521-1.jpg 20170527_170134.jpg
There are more photos of our outdoor adventures in my albums. :catrub:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
upload_2017-7-3_11-5-0.png

I bought this mesh harness and I like it. It seems to fit well and looks comfortable. Fit better than the strap ones