HARD to trap ferals

kevin st julian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have one particular female that i want to get fixed asap before she has her third litter in a year but she refuses to go into the trap. I have tried different foods, locations, times etc and she is too smart. There are her daughters and other cats in this colony as well, some still need to be fixed also. Any ideas?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you tried a drop trap? It's possible to catch several cats at the same time if you make one big enough. If you check online you'll find instructions for making one. This video shows you how they are used.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried not setting the trap and feeding the cats in the trap?  You can start by placing the food just outside the unset trap then every few days move the food further and further inside the trap.  I have had cats that don't like it when I bait the trap with unusual food.  They prefer to go into the trap for their regular food.  Also what are you using to line the bottom of the trap?  I have had cats very frightened by newspaper.  I used puppy pee pads as they are softer and don't make much noise.  I buy them at the Dollar Tree.

As Norachan mentioned, a drop trap is often the way to do when you need to trap numerous cats.  There are videos available you youtube on how to make one yourself.