Hard headed Cat

hillbillywoman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any advice would be appreciated.
She's about 8 months old and will not stay off the top of one of the fish tanks. I am afraid she will knock the lid off and fall in, while that in itself may teach her a lesson, if it happens, that will open a whole other ball of wax with boyfriend, the fish are HIS babies, while the cats are mine.
I have tried using a water gun, she runs when she sees you pick it up, when you scold her, she back talks you (chatters). Thus far the only thing she has learned is to jump down when she sees me coming.
I am not sure about the Feliway, you have to be so careful about chemicals and fish tanks. Anybody know if its safe?
This morning alone, I have chased her off 15 times in 2 hours, she'll get down and as soon as my back is turned she is up there again.
I know cats like high places, I've bought her a cat tree, (which she rarely uses, she liked the box better, lol)
I am just really frustrated with her right now, even though I love her.
Help!
Photo of the little stinker is attached.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
sounds like smooch he goes where he wants and back chats if you tell him to get down, he will only get down if you walk over to him

Sooty's fav spot in my last flat was on top of the fish tank coz it was warm he never bothered with the fish. i think feliway will be fine with the tank you say it has a lid on it ive never had fish die off anything like that

oh yeah your little stinker is gorgeous

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't see how a feliway plug in would help in this situation. Feliway is good for territorial issues, and for reducing stress, but I wouldn't think it would deter a cat from her favorite Game.

And you can bet it IS a Game at this stage, she knows you don't want her up there, so it is great fun for her to get up there and tease you.

What is needed is a deterrent that she does not associate with YOU.

You can try double sided sticky tape across the aquarium lid, it's called "sticky paws" , wide double sided tape on a roll, do a search you will find lots of places that sell it. Most cats really hate to step on tape.

A shallow pan (cookie sheet) of water on the lid of the tank, jumping into that a couple of times may make her think twice, but of course it has it's own potential for mess.

some say sheets of aluminum foil, but I have my doubts about the effectiveness of that.

One more thing. Boxes are always more popular than the things they come in, for cats, it's a given

But you can teach her that the cat tree is hers by involving it's use when you play interactive Games with her. Throw her crumpled paper ball or fur mouse or whatever she likes you to throw for her to chase, up onto the cat tree so she has to climb and jump up to get it.

Drag her string on a stick up the sides of the cat tree, over the flat perches etc, so she has to climb or jump up on the tree to chase the string.

Put an old sweater that smells like you on one of the perches, she will be more likely to choose that spot for a nap. ( a little nip on a perch might help, too)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hillbillywoman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I tried the aluminum foil, worked for about 5 minutes til she decided it wasn't going to eat her, lol. I like the double sided tape idea, I am going to pick up some of that. And, yes, you are right, its a game to her and she loves it!
We have been plying with the cat tree, I hide toys in it for her and she will jump up and retrieve them, and will occasionally sleep on the highest perch. I just want her to learn that when she is the notion to look down on her world, the fish tank is NOT the place to do it from.
I apppreciate your help!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Go to the hardware store and buy some of the plastic carpet runner protector. It's smooth plastic on one side but has little plastic pointy things on the other side to hold it in place on your carpet. Cut it to fit the size of your tank tops and then place it upside down (pointy things up) on top of the tanks. The cats don't like the feel of those plastic things and *should* not want to be up there on it.

You could also line the edge of the tanks with soda cans filled part way with dry beans and then the top taped closed. If she tries to jump up there, the cans will be knocked over and the sound of the beans in the can *should* work to scare her away.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried SSSCAT? It's an air can with a motion sensor and an alarm. When it senses the cat it lets out a spray of air (sounds like a hiss) and sounds the alarm. People would set it off, too, so you have to remember it's there.

I have a back talking cat, too. They sure sound like they have quite an attitude when they're complaining back at you.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Go to the hardware store and buy some of the plastic carpet runner protector. It's smooth plastic on one side but has little plastic pointy things on the other side to hold it in place on your carpet. Cut it to fit the size of your tank tops and then place it upside down (pointy things up) on top of the tanks. The cats don't like the feel of those plastic things and *should* not want to be up there on it.

You could also line the edge of the tanks with soda cans filled part way with dry beans and then the top taped closed. If she tries to jump up there, the cans will be knocked over and the sound of the beans in the can *should* work to scare her away.
Meaning no disrespect, but I dislike both of these ideas. I am not trying to offend, just stating my opinion.

I think it would hurt kitty to land on those spikes, they are very sharp, and it could fall off with him and land on him, potentially poking an eye.

I don't like the can idea either, because I don't like the idea of scaring the cat.

Strange Wings the ssscat is a great idea!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where is the fish tank sitting that the cat has access to it and jumping on it? Try removing other nearby furniture if you can.

And how big is this fish tank?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about a canopy? I have a canopy on my 55g, and all of the cats could sit together on it all day without it falling in. It's very sturdy.

Honestly once a cat gets it in her head that she wants to sit on the fish tank, nothing is going to change her mind, LOL.

I have used the carpet runners before, but they aren't very effective IMO. Not dangerous at all, though.

hillbillywoman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The tank is big, 125 gallons, and its an older tank, without the standard tops you see on newer tanks. Currently my boyfriend has it rigged with a bit of a strange contraption that just covers the top, but's not secured and it is capable of sliding.
A canopy would be nice, but we don't have one, it would require building one, maybe I can convince him to, he built the stand its on, but meanwhile. I am going to try the double sided tape. I can put that on top of the tank if I need to, and I think I will likely need to.

Thanks everyone, I do appreciate the advice and words of wisdom!

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it is reasonable to have places where the cats are not 'allowed' to go. My cats can go on my kitchen table since I never eat there, but they are not allowed on my counters. They know their boundaries and a 'hey, get down!' is enough to make them scoot. They are not abused by any means and they scoot off just to come back and lay on my feet as I try to move around the kitchen.

Maybe if the double sided tape doesn't work you could stick the carpet liner to the top with the tape. That way it wouldn't fall if the cat jumped up there, but it would still be uncomfortable for her. I would't want to walk/sit on those little spikes, but they are not sharp or long enough to do any damage.

You could always use reverse psychology on her.. I find that if my kitten is pestering me too much, like when I am trying to sleep. I turn my back on her. It's the same thing her mom would do when she has had 'enough'. I notice her energy level drops dramatically and she becomes ready to just lay down and snuggle instead of attacking everything that moves, or may move.

It's funny, on this site I sometimes feel like I have to justify myself. My cats get more attention than most cats in this world, and I am always talking to them or scooping them up to carry around the house.. but they need to respect my rules if they want to live in my house as well.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
PS - I know how you feel about the safety of the cat in this situation and you ar only trying to keep both the cat and the fish safe and happy. My sister had two kittens in the summer who were half-siamese acrobats. They used to run down a built in shelf, jump onto the woodstove, and then leap onto the couch. Her and her boyfriend rigged up all kinds of barricades to stop them, but they persevered until the day it got cold and the woodstove was lit. One leap and that was the end of that game. Poor velcro got quite the surprise but there was no lasting damage to her feet.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sohni

...My sister had two kittens in the summer who were half-siamese acrobats. They used to run down a built in shelf, jump onto the woodstove, and then leap onto the couch. Her and her boyfriend rigged up all kinds of barricades to stop them, but they persevered until the day it got cold and the woodstove was lit. One leap and that was the end of that game. Poor velcro got quite the surprise but there was no lasting damage to her feet.
Quite frankly, I'm horrified. I don't have any comments about the preventive measures, since I wasn't there and the info is second-hand, but, wow, poor kitty.

------

Hillbillywoman, do you have any other "warm" areas for the cat? (Who, by the way, is gorgeous!) Maybe a heated "kitty cup" or a heated blanket in conjunction with one of the tank deterrents already mentioned would be a good combo to convince kitty to relocate for naptime?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Hillbillywoman, do you have any other "warm" areas for the cat? (Who, by the way, is gorgeous!) Maybe a heated "kitty cup" or a heated blanket in conjunction with one of the tank deterrents already mentioned would be a good combo to convince kitty to relocate for naptime?
Oh, good thinking! In efforts to help, none of us were thinking about the main reason she probably likes being up there, because it's warm!

I make self warming cat beds, (work with reflected body heat) but if you are handy you can make one too, to put on the top perch of her tree. You can buy them too in pet supply stores too, of course.

here's one example:

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Solutio.../dp/B0002HBN16

Mine look a little different: (this one is actually custom made for some other kitties, I've told Tolly he can't keep it!)

hillbillywoman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thus far, she's never been caught napping on the tank, its just a game with her to walk/run across the top (and mess with me, I think). We have a cat tree, a shelf under a window which gets direct sunlight in the afternoon with her very own soft hand knitted blanket on it (made for her by a friend of mine) and a soft cozy fleece cat bed. She most often sleeps in one of these.
I haven't had a chance to get the tape yet, but thats my next move.

I appreciate hearing all the advice and all your experiences. I happen to agree that they need to learn what the rules are, otherwise it makes for an unhappy family.