Hard For Kitten With Uri To Breathe???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Farleyk32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No. No cultures. But I definitely have to call tomorrow. A few times in the last few days when Oliver has sneezed there is some bloody mucous from his nose. So either his nasal passages are really irritated from sneezing or ‍♀ The odd thing is, besides his stuffiness/snot noises coming from him which by the way, sound like hes snotty in his nose and throat, he is acting completely fine. He's eating and drinking great, he's playing with Edgar (whom, by the way is also sneezing a lot) he's using the litter box. I just don't get it. If bloody sneezes are googled, it says maybe he has something in his nose- well I might buy that if he weren't snotty/congested and has an uri. And Edgar is still sneezing like a fool. Ugh. So catsknowme catsknowme thats why I haven't considered claritin because I have no idea what the heck is going on. I have a feeling when I call about the blood the vet will say it's probably because he's had this uri for a while now and his nose is probably just irritated. I'll let you all know what they say when I call tomorrow. I'm not too hopeful that I can get him in.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FYI: the Claritin treats the symptoms but is also used for allergies of all sorts. Are there any air fresheners or lingering fragrances (perhaps in the cat litter?). Such a mystery! You are definitely doing everything right & this mystery is frustrating. Cats seem to bleed more easily from their mucus membranes, horses as well; my dad thought that it was Mother Nature's way of keeping infection out (one of his great-grandfathers was a healer, one grandma was a curandera & the other a bruja-complete with a talking mina bird :rolleyes2:)

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two kittens came an URI as well from the local HS. My vet gave me clavamox and eye drops with neomycin and polymyxin. The eye drops seemed to work almost instantly (decongestant). Maybe your vet can give you something similar? Within 12 hours of both getting the eye drops their breathing went from noisy to normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Farleyk32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So to update on the sneezing blood kitty- the vet put him on a different antibiotic (cefadroxil) and she said sometimes the virus just messes up the nose so that's probably why the blood. She said the only way to really see what was going on in there was to scope his nose but that's a little extreme at this point, so we're just going to do this antibiotic and hope it finally knocks out whatever he has going. She said sometime it happens where he may always sneeze now and always have rhinitis because of how long he's had this stupid virus but that will be a wait and see kind of thing. She said there's turbinates in a cats nose that can get damaged with viruses and upper respiratory infections which would cause chronic rhinitis. So, fingers crossed that won't be the case in his life, he's only 4 months old. The only good thing about this antibiotic is its only once a day :). Orange flavored. This poor kitten has had bubble gum flavored, banana flavored, now orange flavored. It's 2018, can't we get meat flavored antibiotics for kittens for goodness sakes.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update! Those URIs are sure perplexing! I did not know that about chronic rhinitis- thank you for the education. I will share this information