Happy National Doughnut Day!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH BOY :hyper: I never treat myself to a donut anymore even though I LOVE them. :lol3: Did not know there was even a National doughnut Day!!!! My Presley's nickname is Donut - cause he is soooooooooooooo sweet. Gotta go and get some free donuts :dash: :thanks:

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite is a jelly doughnut.  Haven't had one in ages --- and now we're so careful about watching sugar, etc. --- but one of these days we'll treat ourselves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a Dunkin' Donuts fan - not to be confused with those Krispy Kreme people. 
(DH is one of those, LOL!) My favorite is the plain Dunkin' donut, but I also love the apple and maple frosted that our local bakery (Love Bugs) has. YUM!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dang, I just found this out and it's too late to head to a local favorite -The Donut Bank. :yummy:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't stop thinking about donuts today :flail: My favorite is Dunkin Donuts Powdered Cake with white cream filling :yummy: I just checked and there are ONLY 300 calories. Better hurry :dash: :lol3:

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love donuts. All we have here is Tim Hortons, which aren't very good. I am not a big fan of donuts that have been previously cooked, frozen and then recooked for a few minutes. I'd rather Krispy Kreme, but there are only a couple of those in Ontario and they are nowhere near where I live. 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My local - 55 miles each way - favorite is Irish Maid Donuts in Ft. Smith.  You really need to get there at about 4 a.m. to get the best ones, Maple Bars.  Needless to say, I haven't had one in years.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My mother-in-law and I make doughnuts for Fat Tuesday, I think it is. She knows that I have "issues" with deep frying (I'm scared to death of all that oil), so she makes the doughnut batters and then I roll them, cut them out, and fry them up. We do both regular doughnuts and then I make beignets, too. Delicious! We use a recipe called Portuguese Beignets; she found the recipe years ago and we've kept making them because they're so good.

I think our favorite commercial doughnuts come from Maple Doughnuts, which is a chain of doughnut bakeries throughout southern PA (and probably in the surrounding area, too). Alas, we don't have Maple Doughnuts around here, so whenever we get down into York, PA we have to stop at a bakery there for our fix. We're stuck with Dunkin Donuts here, which are OK. I like their sour cream glazed the best.

Rick and I (well, hopefully, I won't chicken out) will be going to Portland, Oregon in September. One of the places we want to check out is VooDoo Doughnuts. We've heard that those things are decadently delicious! And we have to try them.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My mother-in-law and I make doughnuts for Shrove Tuesday....I think it's a PA Dutch thing to make doughnuts for Fat/Shrove Tuesday and we've been doing this for decades now. She knows that I still have "issues" with deep frying (I'm scared to death of all that oil), so she makes the doughnut batters and then I roll them, cut them out, and fry them up. We do both regular doughnuts and then I make beignets, too. Delicious! We use a recipe called Portuguese Beignets; she found the recipe years ago and we've kept making them because they're so good.

I think our favorite commercial doughnuts come from Maple Doughnuts, which is a chain of doughnut bakeries throughout southern PA (and probably in the surrounding area, too). Alas, we don't have Maple Doughnuts around here, so whenever we get down into York, PA we have to stop at a bakery there for our fix. We're stuck with Dunkin Donuts here, which are OK. I like their sour cream glazed the best.

Rick is a Krispy Kreme fan, but only when they're absolutely freshly made. There was a Krispy Kreme place in Myrtle Beach, SC when we were there. When those doughnuts were ready, the line was so long, it took forever to get doughnuts. We can get KKs at a Sheets Station, I think it is, around here, but we don't bother. It's just not the same.

Rick and I (well, hopefully, I won't chicken out) will be going to Portland, Oregon in September. One of the places we want to check out is VooDoo Doughnuts. We've heard that those things are decadently delicious! And we have to try them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha! The only kind of donuts I ever made are by poking a hole in refrigerator biscuits, frying them, and then sprinkling them with sugar.