Hannaford Nature's Place Free Country Grain-free Wet

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Anyone know this food? Hannaford grocery store's own "more natural" brand, Nature's Place... Maybe I'm crazy but I highly suspect it's repackaged Fancy Feast. Reminds me strongly of the Medleys IIRC...? Says it's packaged by DZA Brands. Should I try contacting to find out? Would they even tell me the truth?
I got it just to see if my cats would like it, but it seems higher priced than FF, not to mention our family broke up with Purina, so I'll actually be kinda mad if its just Purina in different packaging.
20181118_120311.jpg
20181118_120615.jpg
Maybe I'm just going cat food induced psychosis and making it up in my head?
Don't look at the stash behind these cans.
Actually yes do look, it's quite lovely, thank you! :lol:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've looked at this food and rejected it because of the potato starch. I don't think Fancy Feast has potato starch -- definitely not in the Classics, the pates -- so you may be safe on that! And I think most of the FF Medleys have what gluten...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Hm ok. Yeah duh I guess I could have actually compared the ingredients haha!

There's still something about it that I don't trust. Can't put my finger on it, but the cats must get the same feeling because I've fed it twice and there's been leftovers in the bowls both tries. I've googled trying to find reviews and gotten nowhere.

I'll prolly just bring these 3 cans over to HART. :)

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Hm. Look who's in the doggo food recall.
Glad I trusted my gut.
(yes I know it's doggos and not cats but still... Something about this company freaks meowt.)

Screenshot_20181205-215336_Chrome-picsay.jpg

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grain free is such a scam it drives me nuts. Sure they left out grains but many are still jam packed with carbs like potatos and peas. I don't want my cat to end up overweight with diabetes so I don't want carbs period. I can't wait to see CARB FREE foods some day....

Anywho Fancy Feast and Friskies classic pates are carb free (and therefore grain free!) So I would just go with that.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hm. Look who's in the doggo food recall.
Glad I trusted my gut.
(yes I know it's doggos and not cats but still... Something about this company freaks meowt.)

View attachment 265197
Yes, Ahold Delhaize is the company that owns Hannaford. And Nature's Place is just one of their ever-changing store brands. I used to work at Hannaford HQ decades ago but no longer feel much loyalty to the company: the stores just don't seem run very well these days.

Anyway, what was the dog food recall for/about? And when was it?

Grain free is such a scam it drives me nuts. Sure they left out grains but many are still jam packed with carbs like potatos and peas. I don't want my cat to end up overweight with diabetes so I don't want carbs period. I can't wait to see CARB FREE foods some day....

Anywho Fancy Feast and Friskies classic pates are carb free (and therefore grain free!) So I would just go with that.
I just see "grain-free" as a (somewhat pathetic!) start these days: after that, I still have to check for potato, peas, tapioca, and all sorts of other weird stuff like lentils and chickpeas.

Friskies pates do have some carbs added because of the rice but at least the numbers aren't very high on Dr. Pierson's charts! Far lower than, say, Weruva's Cats in the Kitchen pouch foods, where the tapioca makes things go a little crazy.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, Ahold Delhaize is the company that owns Hannaford. And Nature's Place is just one of their ever-changing store brands. I used to work at Hannaford HQ decades ago but no longer feel much loyalty to the company: the stores just don't seem run very well these days.

Anyway, what was the dog food recall for/about? And when was it?
Just this week. It was on the nooz but they flashed the brands so fast I couldn't even read them. I don't have (or even like many) doggos, but it's still pertinent to my interests.

FDA Alerts Pet Owners about Potentially Toxic Levels of Vitamin D in Several Dry Pet Foods

Re: grain-free--Marketing and trickery isn't why I buy it, simply that it helps my IBD kitty not cover my entire apartment in runny bloody poops. :)

• Purraise
Reactions: jen

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just see "grain-free" as a (somewhat pathetic!) start these days: after that, I still have to check for potato, peas, tapioca, and all sorts of other weird stuff like lentils and chickpeas.

Friskies pates do have some carbs added because of the rice but at least the numbers aren't very high on Dr. Pierson's charts! Far lower than, say, Weruva's Cats in the Kitchen pouch foods, where the tapioca makes things go a little crazy.
Yes! Its so annoying. Also I meant to say that Friskies and FF pates are LOW carb. Anything below 10% is fine with me and they are mostly under 5% so even better. The FF Naturals are the no carb ones.