Handy People! I need HELP!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My son threw a bunch of DVD's from the drawer of our entertainment center, behind the drawers.  It has a solid bottom and the drawers don't seem to come off the tracks:

My 3 year old can't even get her arm in there to reach any.  I was using our extra long grilling spatula to get some...and then I dropped it.  The drawer won't shut all the way with that stuff in there and now DS thinks it's a seat and a step stool to get things off the top of the center where the TV is...  

I guess buying a nice solid piece of furniture is biting us in the butt this time.  

Any ideas on how to get them out?  I'm hoping to avoid unscrewing the tracks but I guess we might have to.  My grilling tongs are too fat and the kitchen ones are too short.  I need to find some way of blocking him from throwing stuff in.  It's not designed in a way to use most baby locks either.  My stinker! 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely unscrew the tracks, one side would probably work, how about a wooden spoon with duct tape, sticky side out wrapped around the end, do you think it could 'stick' to them and pull them out! Just an idea..... good luck!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Do you recall what the back of the entertainment center is like? Sometimes it's just a thin piece of fiberboard stapled to the wooden frame, and if so, it might be easier to pull it out a bit, remove the staples around one corner and pull the DVDs out the back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooh duct tape might work.  I need to find something long and solid enough.  I can check what the backing is; but I'll have to move the TV in order to get to it well!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a yard stick? Or even a 12-inch ruler that you can stick some tape to? How about a dowel rod? A swiffer duster?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like the only way is to remove the screws. i can't imagine a ruler would be able to get the DVDs and spatula out. I had to do the same with me, with the exact same issue.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The drawers actually do come out.

Alot of times you have it in the closed position, then open just a slight bit, and lift up. They have a gap in the far end of the track that you can't see, but a space in the upper part of the track that allows it to be lifted up then pulled out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got them!  Even the spatula!  I was rummaging around for something sturdy and found another metal one; shorter than the grilling one.  I figured out f I push the drawer back in a bit I can get my arms in more, I just can't see what I'm doing.  So I lifted things up a bit with the other spatula and grabbed  them with my other hand.  First I tied a cord to the 2nd spatula in case I had to fish that one out too.  Mooch thought it was a great game! 

Quote:

The drawers actually do come out.

Alot of times you have it in the closed position, then open just a slight bit, and lift up. They have a gap in the far end of the track that you can't see, but a space in the upper part of the track that allows it to be lifted up then pulled out.
Hmm...I tried this after reading your post and I still can't get it to move.  I tried it at different levels of "open" too.  I'll see if DH can try; maybe I'm not doing something right.  We're both tired of DS's antics with this!

The whole time I've been fiddling with this DS was supposed to be napping.  Yeah, no.  I went in to lay him down and discovered he has peeled the backing off this small bookshelf I've got on one side of his crib to make it higher.  He escaped his bed a couple days ago.  It's one of those cheap, particle board bookshelves where the back is just like cardboard basically.  I swear my DD never did this kind of stuff!!