Handling New Kittens And Flea/worming Treatments

Tillycat17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So our kittens turn 2 weeks tomorrow.
Today's weights were all 300-320g and all keep gaining above the 10g mark per day.
Apart from weighing them I've left them well alone. However it says online to start handling them more from 2 weeks. How do you normally start handling them?
One of the kittens seems particularly friendly and today tried to crawl on to my hand. The others all bundle up together and hate being weighed!

Second question is about flea and worm treatments, when and what do you use? I've read conflicting information online.

I will enclose some pictures of them...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tillycat17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Callie- her eyes don't look the same at the others. Hoping it's just because they aren't fully open and it's nothing medical.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Her eyes do not look fully open yet.

Handle them gently and for short periods.

I waited until 3 weeks and sat on the floor and let them come sniff me and crawl on me.

They can be wormed at 8 weeks when they go in for their first vaccines unless they are having issues.

I recommend Advantage II for kittens at 5 weeks. In the meantime, use a flea comb.

Tillycat17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it possible for mum to go into heat now? Today she's gone into crazy hyper mode!! I've brought the her and the babies downstairs for the evening as she keeps play fighting them so roughly :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are too young for this. I hope you've put a stop to it. Just bring mom downstairs for her own play session for an hour without the kittens.

Tillycat17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I keep stopping it every time I see it. It is really rough. She threw one across her room. I wonder whether mum has had enough of being shut in one room? I'm going to try periods of the letting her have free run of the house and watch she doesn't try move them.