Handling A Shy Cat

samppa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I adopted a cat two weeks ago, he's 3yo. He's been very very shy, not allowing me to pet and running away if I come too close and I know it's sometimes like this with new cats, especially with feral cats. However, because of his slightly swollen eye we had to take him to the vet (and let me tell you, it was a real struggle to get him there) and he was diagnosed with conjunctivitis. This means we have to give him eye drops four times a day. But the problem is that he's so shy, always running away that it's gonna be very difficult every time to catch him. And he's afraid, hissing to us when we go close because he doesn't like it and now he's scared as well. We have to give the drops of course, and it'll be a horrible week for him (and for us). How long will it take to gain back the trust (which didn't really exist even before this as he'd been at our place not so long)? How traumatized will he be after this? Is it just a question of time after that, we have to be patient? Or will he always be afraid of us now?

Thanks for the help!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who doesn't like to be touched so I have thought a great deal about what I,would do if she need some daily treatment. Option one would be to confine kitty to a small space like a bathroom where catching is a bit easier. Option two, my plan, is to purchase a collapsible dog crate large enough for litter box, bed and food, and keep her there until she is done with treatment. I think it would be traumatic but better than chasing her through the house every day. Yes, it will take some time to regain his trust and you will need to be patient but it will happen. Maybe finishing or starting each treatment with a delicious treat will help.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who doesn't like to be touched so I have thought a great deal about what I,would do if she need some daily treatment. Option one would be to confine kitty to a small space like a bathroom where catching is a bit easier. Option two, my plan, is to purchase a collapsible dog crate large enough for litter box, bed and food, and keep her there until she is done with treatment. I think it would be traumatic but better than chasing her through the house every day. Yes, it will take some time to regain his trust and you will need to be patient but it will happen. Maybe finishing or starting each treatment with a delicious treat will help.
Confining to a small place during the treatment seems an excellent advice. I still struggle to give Missy a flea control treatment every month, but there is some improvement. I make sure that she doesn't smell the product (by spraying catnip on the applicator). After I apply it she runs off and goes into hiding, but since I started luring her back with her favorite treat (roasted chicken), she doesn't feel the need to stay into hiding for more than an hour (like she used to do before). It takes time, but it will pay off.