hand rearing kittens

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been asked today if I would mind hand rearing a kitten as the mums not very well and can't do so herself. I have never done this before but it's something I would like to do, I only have a vague idea what to do so if anyone can offer me any advice that would be great?

What basic stuff is needed to care for a kitten needing to be hand reared? My 3 cats are all adults, so I wouldn't know where to start!

Thank you for any advice :)

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hand-rearing is a big job and not to be taken lightly. Read up and determine if you can put forth the huge time commitment and effort to do it properly. If not, say no.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I've been asked today if I would mind hand rearing a kitten as the mums not very well and can't do so herself. I have never done this before but it's something I would like to do, I only have a vague idea what to do so if anyone can offer me any advice that would be great?

What basic stuff is needed to care for a kitten needing to be hand reared? My 3 cats are all adults, so I wouldn't know where to start!

Thank you for any advice :)
Hand-rearing is a big job and not to be taken lightly. Read up and determine if you can put forth the huge time commitment and effort to do it properly. If not, say no.
Yeah, its a major task, not to take lightly.  Esp if there are several orphans, or there comes problems, for example the kittens doesnt want to eat....  Takes time, effort, love, patience, drains you if there are arising difficulties...

But yet, if you are of the proper wood, it can be done, and people do.

I had recently seen a pic of 13 adorable Russian blue kittens, sitting in a basket and looking on.  Adorable, and a rare photo, as  RB has often rather small litters.

The background story?  The breeder got two litters almost simultaneously.  8+5 kittens.

BUT the fate struck, the 8 mom died at the birth...  The 5 momma, with the help of the breeder, took on all 13...  but it was too much on that darling, she got severly sick after a couple of days.

And now come the moment of truth to this breeeder: having 13 hungry orphans, and the still alive breeding queen to be a nurse for and try to save...

She managed to find and make an useful kitten glop,  and had her heavy work....   With lotsa work and Gods help she managed.  both the queen and all 13 kittens survived - and that photo could be made, for us to enjoy and rejoice about...

But I dont wish on anyone that herculean task...

Some links and advices to use, both to prepare yourself, and use IF you take on your that duty - and hopefully the joy.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/hand-rearing-kittens

http://www.kitten-rescue.com/
http://www.kittenrescue.org/index.php/cat-care/kitten-care-handbook/

Goats milk is useful instead of kmr.   Raw goat milk is best, but bottled full fat is OK too.

Observe, if an orphan is much bloated, gas-filled, bloated, have colic, simethicone (google on it) may help.  1-2 drop in the bottle.

Fleece or flannel good to use in the bedding for kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you to all who replied, a foster mum has been found so I've been told. The birth mum had sadly died which is why I was asked.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad a foster mom has been located. Mom's milk and care is always best! You were very kind to consider taking this on! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad a foster mom has been located. Mom's milk and care is always best! You were very kind to consider taking this on!
Thank you, I would of been glad to help out but I'm happy a foster mum was found